Balsam wasps?!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
Well I'm seeing it all this week! First of all I watched a honey bee enter a HB flower upside down and forage the pollen, then this morning I saw what I thought was a very yellow bee foraging the HB on the way to school. A closer look and it turned out to be a wasp! With the HB stripe and everything! Very odd.

Nowt odd about that Kaz, the Balsam is always buzzing with wasps at this time of year, complete with white capes.

Nowt odd about that Kaz, the Balsam is always buzzing with wasps at this time of year, complete with white capes.

It's the first time I've seen it! Granted, the only balsam I know of is a small patch, about 7ft by 7ft by the bridge over the brook. It is always busy with bees, but wasps are a new one on me :)

Lots of balsam wasps here..

Maybe it's because I am just starting to look properly. I've only really got into other insects this year. The good news is that I am doing a lot of recording on irecord, so my data is being used well.

Latest posts

Back