Balsam destroyers alive and well

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is anything really native though?
How long does it have to be here to be classed as native?

Since the Channel appeared - I think. With the end of the Ice Age?

Isnt it now classed as native

Extract from the royal horticultural society

Introduced to the UK in 1839, Himalayan balsam is now a naturalised plant, found especially on riverbanks and in waste places where it has become a problem weed.

Himalayan balsam tolerates low light levels and also shades out other vegetation, so gradually impoverishing habitats by killing off other plants. It is sometimes seen in gardens, either uninvited or grown deliberately, but care must be taken to ensure that it does not escape into the wild.

I used to have 'loads' but in the last 3 years it has almost disappeared...to a few patches whereas it used to run through the centre of the village. :( thanks to all the people who hate vandalism, and untidiness in the village...although they pull it up (vandalism in my eyes)...and leave piles in the ditches...(untidiness and a flood risk)...

It's amazing how blinkered and irresponsible people can be - talk about not seeing the big picture. HB is ruining ancient habitat in Snowdonia and parts of north Wales.It is a real pest on river banks causing habitat destruction and bankside erosion: maybe next time people living on flood plains end up knee deep in mud and water they should remember this.
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to take the honey I get from this plant but am also aware that it's a nuisance. Yes, we'll never get rid of it but there has to be a happy medium - control it so it doesn't get out of hand.
Shame on people who call these public spirited individuals who give of their free time to safeguard our natural habitat Vandals.

Sorry but we all have the right to our views - and this is a public forum last time I checked Jenkinybrynmair, and many feel the same ...So sorry, but not changing my views to please. I am not 'blinkered and irresponsible' - but the plant CAN be allowed to flower before ripping it out by its roots!!!!!

UK Himalayan balsam, seems like one either likes it or loathes it, i dislike it, and grey squirrels, although them squirrels are good to eat.

Last edited:
confused, how can you all be so for the preservation of bees in general, yet happy for a non native evasive plant that forces out native species? A little selfish perhaps? Killing tens of species to feed just the one?

Sorry but we all have the right to our views - and this is a public forum last time I checked Jenkinybrynmair, and many feel the same ...So sorry, but not changing my views to please. I am not 'blinkered and irresponsible' - but the plant CAN be allowed to flower before ripping it out by its roots!!!!!

Exactly - and I was airing my views, which is what is so great about this forum. - just because the bees love it, the rest of the environment has to suffer? isn't that not seeing the whole picture?
The whole point of knocking it back before it flowers is to stop the rapid spread (you are not gettting to get rid of it completely, so let's be happy with just a little of it) The explosive seed distibution vehicle of Balsam is impressive and once it takes hold the spread is exponential. Willing the spread of this aggressive species just to get more honey? isn't that selfish?

confused, how can you all be so for the preservation of bees in general, yet happy for a non native evasive plant that forces out native species? A little selfish perhaps? Killing tens of species to feed just the one?

:iagree:

Round here, HB grows on unused fields, gulleys and abandoned land. When it dies down , no sign of soil erosion. The accompany nettles and brambles make sure of that...

Note : fields. Some are up to a kilometer from the nearest waterways.

So whilst some of the comments may be justified, it's not all bad. Abandoned canal pathways have been colonised as well...

:D
Note : fields. Some are up to a kilometer from the nearest waterways.
So whilst some of the comments may be justified, it's not all bad. Abandoned canal pathways have been colonised as well...

Pezzacly - the biggest problems are near waterways (especially in regions with flash spate fed rivers) It can cause havoc with native fauna in woodlands as well and on steep slopes (hence the big concerns on Eryri, where it's now more of a problem than rhododendrons)
By the way what's a kilometer?

Some is lurking on the ancient chemin near our bees - bearing in mind apparently it doesn't exist here in this area of France!
Doesn't seem to be spreading though - must be the soil/weather or something, just a small patch been there for years!

I think the case for irradication a little over stated!
It grows in abundance around here :) .
I haven't noticed the destruction of thousands of species !
wild garlic , clover, bramble , rose bay ,vetches and myriad other native species .
The water ways (immediately behind my hives) don't suffer from bank erosion or flooding ( I live in one of the wettest parts of a wet county )
It only takes a dry spell to cause balsam to wilt and die and at the first real frost it blackens and disappears totally .
In times of spate ,the plant lies down under pressure and then returns to vertical as the water slackens!
There is an argument that the shaving of the banks of water courses whilst increasing the flow ,does in fact create flooding as it reaches low lying sections whereas the attenuation effect of river side vegetation is beneficial ?
Around these parts , the water authorities are spending millions on creating monster "attenuation sumps" with all the attendant pumping stations to hold the increased amounts and then pump it back into the system at a rate that t can take !
Nature has done this in years past !
VM

I think the case for irradication a little over stated!
It grows in abundance around here :) .
I haven't noticed the destruction of thousands of species !
wild garlic , clover, bramble , rose bay ,vetches and myriad other native species .
The water ways (immediately behind my hives) don't suffer from bank erosion or flooding ( I live in one of the wettest parts of a wet county )
It only takes a dry spell to cause balsam to wilt and die and at the first real frost it blackens and disappears totally .
In times of spate ,the plant lies down under pressure and then returns to vertical as the water slackens!
There is an argument that the shaving of the banks of water courses whilst increasing the flow ,does in fact create flooding as it reaches low lying sections whereas the attenuation effect of river side vegetation is beneficial ?
Around these parts , the water authorities are spending millions on creating monster "attenuation sumps" with all the attendant pumping stations to hold the increased amounts and then pump it back into the system at a rate that t can take !
Nature has done this in years past !
VM

:yeahthat:

Same as what I see around me, it grows along the river edge along side everything else. It does not block out any of the normal plant life and as you say it dies off very fast if it doesn't have enough water. Any that grows away from the river bank only grows to around 3 feet as it doesn't have the water to out grow anything else.

Its been highly over rated as invasive

Time to cull Muntjac deer -non native , destructive
rhododendrons
OSR- non native , destroys habitats
Charolais cattle, non native, eats the grass British cows could.
Tree bumbles- an aggressive import..

Carniolans,and all non UK bred beees.

If we had a similar policy on human immigrants who are criminals or terrorists... imagine the outcry.

rhododendrons

If we had a similar policy on human immigrants who are criminals or terrorists... imagine the outcry.

...Varroa destructor!

rhododendrons

Now you're talking! not much to fault in that list :D and without OSR we wouldn't have half the screaming about neonics!

Latest posts

Back