Bait hive success

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJBee

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
16 a mix of Commercial, National, 14 x 12, Dadant and a Warre
A swarm moved into my bait hive at 1.45pm today while I was cutting the grass, that is the 3rd year running that location/elevation has attracted a swarm.

I don't think it is from my hives, I haven't checked the wood apiary 200m away but 10 days ago they only had 4 frames of brood maximum and NO drones. My garden hives are all OK.

I will be giving them some frames of foundation to play with tomorrow, if I see the queen I will recognise the marking - well worn pocsa yellow:icon_204-2:

You are obviously getting off to a good start with your bait hives. That reminds me - there was someone harping on about scout bees and swarms on the forum days ago, but all gone very quiet, so I can safely presume our latitudes are still a bit too high for that to occur here quite so early for this year.. Won't be long, what with all the fondant fed this winter.

RAB

Relax people - remember he's in the DOROGNE ... you have a couple of weeks yet - hopefully!

:ohthedrama:

You are obviously getting off to a good start with your bait hives. That reminds me - there was someone harping on about scout bees and swarms on the forum days ago, but all gone very quiet, so I can safely presume our latitudes are still a bit too high for that to occur here quite so early for this year.. Won't be long, what with all the fondant fed this winter.

RAB

Hi RAB,
I suppose it is me you are 'harping on about' which is not very nice. Could I therefore refer you to meidel's experience in London reported today -
"also lately with all the swarm cells we've been squashing they pipe when your queen pheromone laden gloved fingers go anywhere near them." Micro climate and all that. Just because you did not believe it, it does not mean that it never happened! I made an observation about seeing scout bees not seeing a swarm and may I suggest it is not safe to presume anything in life.

MJ

I'm pleased for and not a little envious as you're obviously weeks advanced weather-wise.

I've been wanting to ask:

Do you get re-runs of old Brigitte Bardot and Catherine Deneuve films on French TV like we get Jack Hawkins and Kenneth Moore?

Could I therefore refer you to meidel's experience in London reported today -
"also lately with all the swarm cells we've been squashing they pipe when your queen pheromone laden gloved fingers go anywhere near them."

Eh? :confused: You can't really expect people to know about stuff that's written somewhere else.

According to the profile information, meidel's last post on this forum is dated 10th October 2012, 02:46 PM, and they haven't been online here since 19th October 2012 http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/member.php?u=6625

My bees are a few weeks away before they can think of swarming but this reminds me to set my two bait hives once I return back down south.

A swarm moved into my bait hive at 1.45pm today while I was cutting the grass, that is the 3rd year running that location/elevation has attracted a swarm.

I don't think it is from my hives, I haven't checked the wood apiary 200m away but 10 days ago they only had 4 frames of brood maximum and NO drones. My garden hives are all OK.

I will be giving them some frames of foundation to play with tomorrow, if I see the queen I will recognise the marking - well worn pocsa yellow:icon_204-2:
could you be so kind to let us know your set up for swarm boxes :spy:

Eh? :confused: You can't really expect people to know about stuff that's written somewhere else.

According to the profile information, meidel's last post on this forum is dated 10th October 2012, 02:46 PM, and they haven't been online here since 19th October 2012 http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/member.php?u=6625

Yes, I think I can expect RAB and you for that matter to read all the posts on this forum that was not the problem in this case, but the fact that it was recycled from 2012 does not back up my argument. You have obviously got an eagle eye - thank you again. I have a keen interest in beekeeping and don't think I should be disuaded by comments like 'harping on' even if it is from a 'grumpy' and possibly old man.

If i had bait hives out, they would have taken off! Storms and driving rain, no bees out past 2 days. Just lit the log burner to dry myself out. Brrrrrrrr! I love this sunny weather ...

If i had bait hives out, they would have taken off! Storms and driving rain, no bees out past 2 days. Just lit the log burner to dry myself out. Brrrrrrrr! I love this sunny weather ...

if i had to be out and about today and came across a bait hive i would try and crawl into it myself, this weather is finally starting to get the better of me i think.
Darren

Again!

Not even a scout around mine yet... and I've copied Mike's Bait Hive exactly - right down to using Mike's old comb in it! (I'm only about 5 miles away as the bee flies!). Just a *bit* too far to attract the local swarms it seems - they prefer Mike's garden!

Well done sir.

blowing in the wind

I set up two bait hives on my shed roofs just to get advanced, after sundays gales here nr Chester I picked both of the up off the ground they fell about three meters, no damage done though, it was so windy I had a job standing still !. I'll wait for a day or two and set them up again. Theyve said on the telly its going to be very windy tonight.

dave W

MJ

I'm pleased for and not a little envious as you're obviously weeks advanced weather-wise.

I've been wanting to ask:

Do you get re-runs of old Brigitte Bardot and Catherine Deneuve films on French TV like we get Jack Hawkins and Kenneth Moore?

My French is errm OK but French TV is just too fast to follow so like most expats we watch Freesat:icon_204-2:

could you be so kind to let us know your set up for swarm boxes :spy:

Sure. It is a standard National brood box on a solid floor with an 8cm x 8mm entrance. In the box is one old black drawn empty frame in the center and 5 frames either side with just a small "starter" strip (10cm x 2cm) of foundation. The whole kaboodle sits on an awning beam approximately 2.5m high and faces just west of south. It is in full sun from about 11am until sunset. 2 drops of lemon grass oil every couple of weeks seems to make it a very des res.

Beejoyful.

The hives you dropped of to me at the weekend have got bees looking round them, got home today to find a few flying in and out of them.

They might have to be entered into a different part of the auction if they get a swarm in them in the next week. hehe.

Hi MJBee,
You are obviously on a roll with your bait hive! It is so exciting isn't it? My bait hive is now up following me spotting some scout bees. I watched them last spring on one of my main hives, but they decided on my neighbour's cavity wall instead, who can blame them. I did have lots of bees in my garden as well last year which wern't mine, so you never know, but I realise it is a long shot. I don't mind though as I don't want any more colonies four is enough for me.

MJ

Thanks for post #15 .... I'll def. give it a try this year

richard

ps

(as I recall) the attractions of Briggitte B wasn't her dialogue!

ps

Beejoyful.

The hives you dropped of to me at the weekend have got bees looking round them, got home today to find a few flying in and out of them.

They might have to be entered into a different part of the auction if they get a swarm in them in the next week. hehe.

Wow! Are they after the wax?

Would they be from your own colonies or somebody else's?

to far from mine, they are from 3 down the road.

Latest posts

Back