Bait hive stand

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
None of my own
For several years I kept a bait hive in my garden on top of what was a bird table (see picture) - my understanding being that they are more likely to inhabit something well off the ground. That table finally gave up the ghost and I'm now looking for an inexpensive alternative. Sadly my DIY skills are non-existent.

What do you all use, or am I wrong in thinking a normal stand too low?

Attachments

• IMAG0268.jpg
    IMAG0268.jpg
    502 KB · Views: 46
I have mine on a garage roof.
Have had a swarm each year for two years.

For several years I kept a bait hive in my garden on top of what was a bird table

Mine is the same - on an old bird table - but swarms don't always choose to use it. Last year the most successful was a nuc on top of a compost bin, second most successful was the stack of supers on top of a pallet.

One yard or less it does not matter... particularly if you orientate the entrance towards Sirius rising in the first quarter of the new moon, that will be on May 7th this year... and on a |Ley line| of course... never fails for me!!

Yeghes da

look at Tom Sealey's work.. it was mentioned on a thread on here .. basically the ideal volume is the same as a Langstroth and the height should from the ground should be at 5M (15 ft) .. hence the tree suggestion. Also if you want to catch swarms from your own hives the bait boxes need to bee at least 300ft from the hives.
This may all be covered in his new book .. I don't have it (as yet)..

look at Tom Sealey's work.. it was mentioned on a thread on here .. basically the ideal volume is the same as a Langstroth and the height should from the ground should be at 5M (15 ft) .. hence the tree suggestion. Also if you want to catch swarms from your own hives the bait boxes need to bee at least 300ft from the hives.
This may all be covered in his new book .. I don't have it (as yet)..
Tom Seeley advice here

Used ordinary national broodbox last year, on a one foot stand in a friends garden a few miles away from my apiary.
Caught four nice swarms.

Not a bait hive, but had one move into a hive on a foot stand that I thought I had blocked off.
Wheelie bin perhaps

just made 4 bait boxes as per tom seeleys plans not sure I can place them 15 feet up but will report back how they do.

Latest posts

Back