Badger cull.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
on the pigs if the digging ban was not brought in all those years ago and the things where not put on the protected list this cull would not be needed.

Well that was the root of the problem, back in them days there was a big problem with badger baiters - legislation had to be brought in to deal with that scum. Now anyone with half an ounce of common sense would have just amended the law to specify badger baiting and impose draconian sentences for people who were involved. Onstead the faceless bureaucrats na dhandwringing bunny huggers got involved and a law was passed making it illegal even to look at a badger the wrong way so we've seen the ridiculous possibility of a person ferreting rabbits in a known rabbit warren looking at a jail sentence because just by chance a badger had moved in for shelter the day before, or the situation a few years ago in Carmarthenshire where the new gas pipeline had to be diverted to within a hundred yards of a small village because they found a new badger sett across the previously accepted safe route.
Protect them from twisted cruelty by all means, but in some cases they end up being no more than vermin.
Personally I like badgers, I still remember as a little boy,my grandparents waking me up in the middle of the night, getting dressed and my grandfather taking me up into the woods to see the badgers play. But like other animals which end up getting uber protected thanks to the handwringers - the population has got out of control.
For crying out loud this isn't the wind in the willows!!!

Now if they had large incisors and long scaly tails noone would have a problem with a cull would they?

Last edited:
Well that was the root of the problem, back in them days there was a big problem with badger baiters - legislation had to be brought in to deal with that scum. Now anyone with half an ounce of common sense would have just amended the law to specify badger baiting and impose draconian sentences for people who were involved. Onstead the faceless bureaucrats na dhandwringing bunny huggers got involved and a law was passed making it illegal even to look at a badger the wrong way so we've seen the ridiculous possibility of a person ferreting rabbits in a known rabbit warren looking at a jail sentence because just by chance a badger had moved in for shelter the day before, or the situation a few years ago in Carmarthenshire where the new gas pipeline had to be diverted to within a hundred yards of a small village because they found a new badger sett across the previously accepted safe route.
Protect them from twisted cruelty by all means, but in some cases they end up being no more than vermin.
Personally I like badgers, I still remember as a little boy,my grandparents waking me up in the middle of the night, getting dressed and my grandfather taking me up into the woods to see the badgers play. But like other animals which end up getting uber protected thanks to the handwringers - the population has got out of control.
For crying out loud this isn't the wind in the willows!!!

Now if they had large incisors and long scaly tails noone would have a problem with a cull would they?

This and everything else is 100% correct, i was out on a meet with the southern border counties Mink ( I Mean Rat) hounds several years ago and some Anti crank phoned the police and said we where Badger baiting.. lol . the Police arrived which put the hunt on hold for 30 minuets , after the master and 23 couple of rat hounds put the Police right we where left on our merry way, true Badger Baiting is so very wrong BUT genuine digging lads do get tarred with the same brush, its the same as lads digging fox for game bird protection as soon as the word Badger gets used the dogs are confiscated and they pointlessly get dragged through the courts by the arsespca, only to be freed several months down the line, and if they do get the dogs returned they are usually in a pitiful state, that is one reason i will never support/phone or use a RSPCA charity shop, they are pure scum.

I agree I have see a 5 acer field one day and the next day it look like it's been ploughed from badgers every thing need control do we not control varroa small hive beetle Asian hornets not so in this country but in the world every thing needs control we have changed the face of the planet and now we must manage it

Aren't we missing the key point here?

They are trying to effect a cure for BOVINE TB

Not Musteline TB.

For as long as the Dairy Conglomerates keep packing their cattle into buildings in close proximity they will be susceptible to BOVINE TB.

Of course the local badger population will then be vulnerable.

It's only lobbying from the Dairies that has swayed the MPs

For as long as the Dairy Conglomerates keep packing their cattle into buildings in close proximity they will be susceptible to BOVINE TB.

Maybe a better idea to milk them out in the fields then.

... RSPCA ... they are pure scum.

You may not agree with all they do, and even strongly disagree with some activities. But they probably do a lot of good too. Seems a bit harsh to tar the whole organisation with the same brush. The vast majority of their work is urban/city based anyway.

about time cattle were vaccinated they came up with a vaccine for bird flu in a couple of weeks they vaccinate in ETHIOPIA a supposed third world country it has proved quite effective the cost of testing and culling is horrendous and not always accurate we rely on old testing methods who are the winners and losers?

what right to take life ....

TB in cattle has nothing to do with badgers it is just an excuse to cull badgers and anything else on four,two legs. the way cattle is kept is enougth to cause any disease , what right do we have to take life from any creature when there is plenty of other food sources . thats my view ,,,,,merry xmas :angelsad2:

TB in cattle has nothing to do with badgers it is just an excuse to cull badgers and anything else on four,two legs. :

I note you have quoted no scientific studies to back up your claim . (There are lots of studies proving transmission).

So I assume you know of such studies to back up your claim.. Or are just trolling..

TB in cattle has nothing to do with badgers it is just an excuse to cull badgers and anything else on four,two legs. the way cattle is kept is enougth to cause any disease , what right do we have to take life from any creature when there is plenty of other food sources . thats my view ,,,,,merry xmas :angelsad2:

Unfair to quote selectively and to then accuse of trolling?

never seen any two legged badgers around here, although the RSPCA kindly release the occasional three legged town foxes up on the mountain - handy to train youngsters who are not very skilled shots or young hounds at the beginning of the season who aren't that tight on the scent :D

You may not agree with all they do, and even strongly disagree with some activities. But they probably do a lot of good too

well, if they stuck to what the RSPCA was formed for I might agree - but I'm sure a lot of the old ladies and pet lovers who donate their hard earned cash to care for cats and dogs would not be too happy at the millions they throw away each year on political lobbying and vexatious and malicious private prosecutions which inevitably get thrown out of court.

You may not agree with all they do, and even strongly disagree with some activities. But they probably do a lot of good too. Seems a bit harsh to tar the whole organisation with the same brush. The vast majority of their work is urban/city based anyway.

Seems to be the way with the hunting lobby. Fact is they have been caught many times and are now attacking the only effective prosecuting law enforcer.
Yes, they have made mistakes but have also had stopped an awful lot of cruelty to unfortunate farm animals being kept in atrocious conditions. Lots of links if anyone would like them?

Also
Farmer has positive TB and all his cattle are destroyed, very sad especially for the cattle.
Farmer collects his recompense and what does he do.....goes out and buys more cattle to be reinfected. Maybe the compensation should be limited to only the first round of cattle only and advise on a different farming practise given?
Happy New Year to all
S

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seems to be the way with the hunting lobby. Fact is they have been caught many times and are now attacking the only effective prosecuting law enforcer.
Yes, they have made mistakes but have also had stopped an awful lot of cruelty to unfortunate farm animals being kept in atrocious conditions. Lots of links if anyone would like them?

Also
Farmer has positive TB and all his cattle are destroyed, very sad especially for the cattle.
Farmer collects his recompense and what does he do.....goes out and buys more cattle to be reinfected. Maybe the compensation should be limited to only the first round of cattle only and advise on a different farming practise given?
Happy New Year

Actually Farmer doesn't go out and buy more cattle to get reinfected he can only buy in more cattle when he has at least two clear TB tests and declared free. It's highly unlikely that he would loose an entire herd to TB more likely to be a few.
If you could only keep bees on one particular site,and your bees went down with afb and were destroyed. would you give up beekeeping ?

well, if they stuck to what the RSPCA was formed for I might agree - but I'm sure a lot of the old ladies and pet lovers who donate their hard earned cash to care for cats and dogs would not be too happy at the millions they throw away each year on political lobbying and vexatious and malicious private prosecutions which inevitably get thrown out of court.

Absolutley.
When I was a practising vet I worked with the local branch and I must say the LOCAL admin was excellent and a lot of good work was done. On a National level there appeared, to my mind, to be a lot of misappropriation of hard and diligently collected money.

Regardless of TB Badgers are OR where cute little animals when they where kept at acceptable numbers.
These days(through a ill thought out government ban) there numbers have exploded causing a detrimental effect to everyone in business in the countryside, be it farmers or game keepers etc.
I see no harm in reducing the numbers of our top Predator/omnivore just the same as fox numbers.
So all you tree hugging anti's stick that in your pipe and smoke it.
Eat veg and be happy, but leave well alone what you know nothing about.:hairpull:

Edited to add.
The RSPCA are pure scum as are the RSPB.

Last edited:
Maybe the compensation should be limited to only the first round of cattle only and advise on a different farming practise given?
If you could only keep bees on one particular site,and your bees went down with afb and were destroyed. would you give up beekeeping ?
Using the above logic a bee farmer would probably be advised to go and buy some sheep, or start planting arable crops!

Using the above logic a bee farmer would probably be advised to go and buy some sheep, or start planting arable crops![/
Stupid argument as the only relationship is the word 'farmer' . If a bee farmer had a disease that could reappear by the introduction of more bees, why should they expect to compensation again. Unlike a cattle farmer who gets compensation, a bee farmer would get bxxxer all unless they had adequate insurance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back