Bad syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never fed a swarm and only feed in the autumn if really necessary.

And you think the foraging bees will change jobs? Unlikely. More likely they will add even more stores and reduce further the space for the queen to lay, thereby reducing the ability of the colony to expand. The house bees need to be feeding larvae, not making extra, surplus-to-requirements, wax. More bees means faster colony expansion - I think.

RAB

Nope - I have 10 frames of undrawn brood foundation and a drawn super I acquired - To expand they need to make wax and draw the brood foundation. If I'd had drawn brood foundation I'd have used it in the first place.
Also it's not a prime swarm, most likely a 2nd or 3rd cast, so it's not got massive excess of bee power.
At most the colony is 7 days old so that's another 14 days till I get the first set of new bee's - assuming the queen started laying immediately they arrived.

I thought HMF was only as a result of boiling after the sugar was added. I tend to boil in the kettle, bung in the pan (which would take it just off the boil), add sugar and stir to dissolve and whack in 1/2 tsp lemon juice per pint.

I have a slowly expanding nuc....with trails of beemanure on the front of the hive (not much but noticeable). No sign on the "donor colony". I had wondered if they got slightly chilled? And yes they are being fed 1:1.

At most the colony is 7 days old so that's another 14 days till I get the first set of new bee's - assuming the queen started laying immediately they arrived.

And this is a cast swarm? Let's count...

RAB

Ref. the 1:1.

Was talking to another beek last night and she had the same problem. 2:1 only from now on.

Latest posts

Back