Bad memory

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cussword

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Still just the 1
I tend to forget things, so I've bought a cheepo Chinese gopro type camera. I'm going to wear it for all inspections, I just play back at home so that I can keep accurate records.
I will write a plan of what I intend to do (apart from the obvious), before I open the hive, so if I get sidetracked I can check the note to ensure I've done what I set out to do before I close up.

Last edited:
I tend to forget things, so I've bought a cheepo Chinese gopro type camera. I'm going to wear it for all inspections, I just play back at home so that I can keep accurate records.
I will write a plan of what I intend to do (apart from the obvious), before I open the hive, so if I get sidetracked I can check the note to ensure I've done what I set out to do before I close up.

I am just the same !
I like the duct tape method Michael Palmer uses to keep little records on each hive

Hi Cussword. I Have a voice memo on my mobile when ive done a hive inspection all the hives are have a number I just speak into the phone of what I have seen and fill in the records later on I'm the same as you memory not very good

We are planning on introducing quite a few new people to beekeeping in our allotment apiary this year (one of the conditions of a grant to set it up).

One of our members has devised an inspection sheet to use for the first few inspections which is very inclusive. The idea is that this will force the new beeks to at least consider everything, and to also record in detail what is seen on a frame by frame basis so that they can look back and see how the colony has changed and expanded over time.

This will obviously take much longer to record than a standard inspection, so the newbies will be paired up and matched with a more experienced beek who will take them through the inspection process, with the newbies alternating between actually performing the inspection and writing up the records. This way nothing is forgotten.

Once they are confident that they know what the are looking for when doing an inspection and are not taking forever to inspect we hope that they will start to use the more traditional inspection reports.

Andy

I'm using a Poundland mini whiteboard this year to write notes as I go as I forget what I did by the time I write up my records.
Cheap, si mple and reusable.
Cazza

As well as keeping proper notes at home, this year we're trying blackboards

We've blackboarded the back of each broodbox, and with a white chalk pen are noting important info - if that queen is marked/date of last inspection/anything important that needs attention

Should help us when we(I) forget our notes :hairpull:

Last month I bought a cheap (£11?) Ebay voice recorder that came with a remote microphone. I used it last week for the first time.

I clip the microphone to the suit inside the veil with the cable leading through the front Velcro to the recorder in my top pocket. When I was ready to go, I switched it to RECORD and started doing a commentary of each frame as it came out. When I had finished, I took it indoors, and over a cup of tea listened to recording and noted down the information for my written record sheet. Previous attempts at longhand recording as I moved each frame during an inspection resulted in propolised pens and sheets flying about in the wind.

The only problem I've come across is that when I connect the recorder to my Macbook, it sees the sound files but will not open them. My wife's very slow Windows computer will open the files but the software (a trial version of Wave Pad Sound Editor) will not allow me to "save as". Life's never easy is it?

I will persist with voice recording my inspections until I find something better.

CVB

Records... and numbering.

This can get tricky. You have hives numbered one through 7. You start to AS.... take it from there and discuss which queen is #3 ;when hive 3 is on top of hive x?

Highly detailed inspection sheets are lovely creations but in my view anything which slows down the inspection is a negative.

What information do you need to record? Is the colony disease free? Yes. Do you need to note it? No of course not you only need to note if it IS diseased.

Brood in all stages? Yes? Normal colony then, and so no need to note.

ETC..

What I note is year and colour of queen. Number of frames of brood. Date of supering. Number of supers removed, temper, and that is it. And I only note temper if it is exceptionally good or bad. Takes me in my shorthand way all of ten seconds to do on the crownboard. Nor do I take the info home. For me there is no need, I want the info on site.

KISS

PH

Records... and numbering.

This can get tricky. You have hives numbered one through 7. You start to AS.... take it from there and discuss which queen is #3 ;when hive 3 is on top of hive x?

Highly detailed inspection sheets are lovely creations but in my view anything which slows down the inspection is a negative.

What information do you need to record? Is the colony disease free? Yes. Do you need to note it? No of course not you only need to note if it IS diseased.

Brood in all stages? Yes? Normal colony then, and so no need to note.

ETC..

What I note is year and colour of queen. Number of frames of brood. Date of supering. Number of supers removed, temper, and that is it. And I only note temper if it is exceptionally good or bad. Takes me in my shorthand way all of ten seconds to do on the crownboard. Nor do I take the info home. For me there is no need, I want the info on site.

KISS

PH

Well, not being stupid, I do try to keep it simple. As I said originally I have a memory problem, It's not old age. I often cannot remember what I saw on the first frame by the time I get to the last. So, I do what I do.

I keep it simple PH, but in no way, am I stupid.

Never thought you were. Sorry to hear your memory is giving you that much trouble.

I was posting in general really as some really do take the recording to near absurd lengths and for what? Provided the colony is healthy not much needs to be noted unless... the exception is if a serious breeding effort is ongoing, and when I did that, I found in reality my breeders stuck out so obviously that it really was simple to select.

Would this work I wonder. Pre printed sheet with columns 1-11 (if Nat) As you check the frames an S for stores. B for brood, QC, and P for pollen. Then condense on hive record card? Keep track as you go. Or what ever variations suit?

KISS

PH

Never thought you were. Sorry to hear your memory is giving you that much trouble.

I was posting in general really as some really do take the recording to near absurd lengths and for what? Provided the colony is healthy not much needs to be noted unless... the exception is if a serious breeding effort is ongoing, and when I did that, I found in reality my breeders stuck out so obviously that it really was simple to select.

Would this work I wonder. Pre printed sheet with columns 1-11 (if Nat) As you check the frames an S for stores. B for brood, QC, and P for pollen. Then condense on hive record card? Keep track as you go. Or what ever variations suit?

KISS

PH

Pre printed sheet gets my vote..
That's what I do being old and senile...:sunning:

Latest posts

Back