Back to the bees after immunology programme

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellabee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello,

I was hoping to hear from anyone else who has been on the immunology programme and will be going back to their bees, this season of previously.

I have completed my eleven week weekly jabs and three months of monthly jabs, I am now on three monthly jabs. I have now little reaction at the hospital when jabbed (Addenbrookes use bee venom rather than man mad venom)

How has anyone else got on?

I will of course be taking my epipen and some antihistamine before hand and I do not go alone, I will probably observe to start with.

Best of luck, Bellabee - fingers crossed :)

Teehee!! "MAN MADE" :willy_nilly:

Into the lions den - how did your son get on? First 'real' sting and all?

Hello,

I have completed my eleven week weekly jabs and three months of monthly jabs, I am now on three monthly jabs. I have now little reaction at the hospital when jabbed (Addenbrookes use bee venom rather than man mad venom)

I am looking after the bees belonging to a lady who is going through the same treatment. She has done the weekly course and is now on monthly jabs - but, and this is the important bit - she does not expect to be able to look after her bees for another 2 years.

I guess reactions differ but also consultants. From where I sit my expectations would be not to rush back, or at the very least don't visit bees on your own.

I have been stung several dozen times on one occasion - it was a hot day and I did not have anything on under my bee suit - then the heavens opened - it was a muggy day. The wet suit acted like a magnet for the bees, of which there were plenty as I was breaking down two cell rearing colonies to make nucs at the time. It was painful but I did not suffer any reaction. However, the amount of venom I received must have been much more than what you may be being tested against with your single jabs.

You have to look at the worst outcome - the hive falling over for example. It simply isn't worth the risk.

PM me if you like with your e-mail or phone number and I will pass it on to the lady I am helping. I suspect she would be interested in sharing experiences.

I was told to take swallow an antihistamine before going to the bees, though not the same type as those to be taken if the worst happens, but if it does to chew them as then they will work faster, it is the antihistamine that save you not the epipen, which only gives you a short term relief from the symptoms which is why I have two, never had to resort to them yet though thank goodness.

Last edited:
err...Bo**ocks. We are talking different things here. If it involves flashing blue lights and people with pads saying "stand clear" that is one thing but taking a few antihistamines to reduce some swelling is a very different and very minor issue. Simply not in the same league. An epipen can be a life saver.

RoofTops > I mailed you my details to pass to your lady if she wants to get in touch

The Cumbrian > Yep mine is 0.3mg loaded

Beekeeping > Are you allergic? If you were taking antihistamine I would be taking them an hour before hand not just before hand, if that is the precaution you are using. I have met many beekeepers on the immunology programme who, using their epipen has been a life saver, one woman several occasions! (she is a gardener)

Had the test and it was positive, but not in the extreme so they didn't think it worth starting the program, but they gave (if that the right word with todays prescription charges) me 2 epipens and antihistamines tablets with the instructions to.
Always carry them with me, not just when beekeeping
If things go wrong, before I colaspe, I need to remove my self from the bees, take 2 antihistamines; dial 999; lay down and stay down; and adminster epipen,all before going unconscious,with the comment that once an epipen has been used you are going to hospital, the epipen should relieve the symptons for 2-5 minutes but if after that things are getting worse again use the secound jab, scary!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was two years ago, i get stung some times when I go to the bees (not a remote site) I take an antihistamine before I go now, good point about an hour before shall remember that,

Beekeeping sounds odd that they did not put you on the programme, and then gave two epipens, I would maybe get a second opinion. The programme I am on (and others I have spoken to) is brilliant, did you tell your GP you were a beekeeper? If I am going to see the bees I take a couple of antihistamines before hand (the harder ones).

Latest posts

Back