back to beekeeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoosling

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi everyone, I'm back to beekeeping after a few years off for personal reasons and late last year unexpectedly caught a swarm, popped quickly into a box with some old frames mostly and they've done really well. Had a quick look in this warm weather and basicly they could do with a Bailey comb change, alot of comb is very dark and the whole thing is so sticky it's hard to move the frames. Is it to early and if i do one in this nice weather? and can I leave the fondant on as a feed as i have no sugar and with the virus no means of buying any to make syrup. Hope this makes sense. thanks in advance.

I would suggest there is no rush. Down to 6 next week during the day. Fondant is fine.
E

Ah thankyou , they are quite crowded so i'll just keep my eye on them , but I will need to do it in Spring won't I ? :thanks:

Once this coming cold snap is over simply add a new deep box above or even below as soon you like if they already look crowded. If you are lucky on your next inspection they should have occupied a few frames and with luck you will find the queen on these new frames. It at least saves the inspection of the old box. Simply slide a queen excluder between the two. At this time of year there are few drones but if you keep the new box on top it allows the drones to fly and not get stuck in the qx later in the season. If you can inspect the old box and find the queen it speeds the whole process up as you simply lift the frame she’s on above qx and into the new box. When you find her.

thankyou, I'm feeling a little unsure of myself after a little time anway from actual hands on beekeeping

Latest posts

Back