Awkward Queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snapper

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just been to check on 2 of my hives; in the first one the queen had managed to get herself wedged halfway through the excluder, and in the second hive, I was just putting the roof back on when I glanced down and spotted the queen wandering up my leg. Not the most relaxing of inspections.

Anyone else had fun with wayward queens?

Never seen a queen get wedged in and unable to free herself before. What type of excluder is it? Maybe it's damaged and the gaps/holes are imperfectly sized?

Snapper,
When I first started I found it a useful trick to take a nuc box to the apiary.
When inspecting if you spot the queen pop her and her frame into that then you can continue your inspection more leisurely.
When looking for queen cells I first have a quick check to find her and pop her in safely in case I have to do an AS. She's easier to find when you first start looking anyway.

I have a nuc box permanently with the hives now. So useful for lots of things.

Snapper,
When inspecting if you spot the queen pop her and her frame into that then you can continue your inspection more leisurely.
When looking for queen cells I first have a quick check to find her and pop her in safely in case I have to do an AS. She's easier to find when you first start looking anyway.

That's quite a good idea. I'll have to try this. :D

Snapper,

Good idea, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Snapper,

Or a crisp packet box, a 14x12 frame fits perfectly and doubles as a swarm collection box when needed

Or a crisp packet box, a 14x12 frame fits perfectly and doubles as a swarm collection box when needed

I have one of those on the fridge....full of husbands crisps at the mo.
I might use one to keep the drawn frames in the freezer :)

Latest posts

Back