Autumn hive going gangbusters

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyPicklechin

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 odd
This is a new one.

Single brood box, no super as was result of a split in late July, queen emergence and mating early August.

Pre-treatment, pre-feed inspection: Absolutely bursting with bees, boiling over on crown board removal. Checked all frames and 9 out of 11 are flat with brood, most with the loveliest brood pattern I've ever seen in my own colonies.. If this was a mid April inspection, I'd walk away very happy and content with a flourishing colony.

Not experienced this ever in late September. Is it a result of warm weather only? Or could it be the colony "believed" it was spring due to the late emergence? Or, as I suspect will come the answer, just one of those things....?

Interesting. So whats the rule of thumb with regards, to when to super and not to super at this time of year. I did decide to nadir a drawn super given their status.

Interesting. So whats the rule of thumb with regards, to when to super and not to super at this time of year. I did decide to nadir a drawn super given their status.
Well you need the bees to store something for winter. They can’t put it in the brood box as you’ve said the frames are stuffed with brood. They need their stores around the brood or above it.
Supers with uncapped stores are nadired so that the bees move those stores up into the brood and in your case there’s no room
There’s little point in putting an empty super under.

Of course if the bees are still bringing in nectar they won’t need as much as I’ve said or any at all. What’s happening with nectar flow? Is the Ivy still out in London suburbs?

Yes...decent amount of ivy coming in here. But there's beans, wisteria and whatever else in the mild faux-spring conditions.

Latest posts

Back