August Gap

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of orange pollen here too, might be Goldenrod, and bees in the garden for the first time since Spring.

usually look at south facing wall covered in ivy for indication of first flowering 'can be 1 week ahead of exposed ivy plants

Pardon my ignorance but why take the super off prior to the ivy flowering? Isn't it good to allow them to fill the super for winter?

I have 1 super left to take off so dont want to get caught out =). They have other supers and room of ivy =).

My girls seem to be collecting plenty of pollen at the moment, I think it might be from the Clematis vitalba (old man's beard) that is flowering all around the hedgerows here at the moment. Not sure how much nectar they can get from clematis though.

We've got loads of ivy in the hedgerows but that isn't in flower yet.

My girls seem to be collecting plenty of pollen at the moment, I think it might be from the Clematis vitalba (old man's beard) that is flowering all around the hedgerows here at the moment. Not sure how much nectar they can get from clematis though.

We've got loads of ivy in the hedgerows but that isn't in flower yet.

Hi Gimlet,
What colour pollen do you get from Old Man's Beard?

My colonies perhaps don't have all ivy honey for winter, but I would think there is quite a lot in some hives.They have survived the last umpteen winters on it. No problem for them, it seems. Minimal losses (3-5%) until this last winter and less than average, even then, I think. It is still the same water content as liquid honey and is only needed for thermal generation. Brooding may be a different situation when it is needed more quickly..

RAB

Same here. Quite an interesting time to sit around the hives and take in the sounds and smells during a strong ivy flow. If I were around I'd stick a super on to collect a bit for myself as I quite like the taste. Plenty of ivy in the surrounding woodlands

Mine have always been well into a 'honeydew' harvest by mid-August ..... but this year there is no sign of it.

Latest posts

Back