At long long last!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trust me, mine was lime! Has a green tinge so maybe it is all in the mind!
E

Try googling lime honey taste.
My last green tinged honey was delicious but the pollen analysis showed mainly field bean.

I can Google what I liked it was the only crop I had. I was in the Welsh hills. Maybe it does taste like mint to some but not to me! I kept a 2 Oz jar, just tried it, no mint.

I can Google what I liked it was the only crop I had. I was in the Welsh hills. Maybe it does taste like mint to some but not to me! I kept a 2 Oz jar, just tried it, no mint.

Care to spare a 1ml quantity and I'll check the pollen content for you?

Even at the weekend when I was putting some extracted supers onto my heather hives, when I took the boards off that I'd had on to store/transport them, the smell of mint that came out was astonishing.

I suppose people's senses are different and that could explain part of it, the other thing to consider is that according to Wikipedia there are about 30 species of 'lime' tree. I don't know how many of them are common in the UK, but likely more than one and it's possible that they don't all produce minty honey?

There are 3 species of lime in the UK; Large leaved lime, Tilia platyphyllos is rare, with only a very few woods; Small leaved time (T cordata) is more common, esp in the South, where it can be found as coppiced woods, esp in East Anglia and Lincs. It is also found as odd trees in the uplands, esp along water courses. The commonest lime (Common Lime!) is the hybrid between these two, which can be easily recognised by large numbers of suckers coming up from the base of the trunk. This is the tree most commonly planted, eg lime tree avenues on estates and so forth. My bees work Common lime, and it tastes minty!

Latest posts

Back