Art or Firewood ? Be honest ...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And another piece of firewood to add to the collection... I'm going to force this one on to my daughter when we see her tomorrow... it was a bit tricky as there was a huge void that I had to fill with car body filler in order to be able to turn it at all ... in my desire to bring out the best bits of the patterns in the grain of the yew I nearly turned it into a lampshade and its so thin in a couple of places you can see light through it...
Do you get many burls on trees in the UK?

Do you get many burls on trees in the UK?
Not as many as we would like ... I've got a really big burl from a silver birch sittting in the garage - it's still on the trunk and I've been pondering for years about where to make the cut to to turn it into a shape that I can get on the lathe. I will get round to it one day - I was given it by a friend but they are very expensive if you have to buy them.

I've enjoyed turning the slab of yew I had into a number of bowls - the bowls are getting smaller as the offcutrs of the main bowl are used up ... my grandaughter (4 years old going on 14 !) took a shine to the last one that I inflcted on her mother so this one is for her birthday in a week or two.Elizas bowl 4.jpgElizas bowl 3.jpgElizas bowl 2.jpgElizas Bowl 1.jpg

Be careful. This is how you lose your tools and find her "having a go"! ;)
I've lost about half my tools doing work in my kid's houses ... I know what you mean ...what's their's is their's and what's mine it their's as well .... Dad - could I just borrow ....xxx and perhaps you could show me how to do ... xxx . It extends to things like carpet cleaners, pressure washers, car jacks, hedge trimmer.... and so on ...

I've lost about half my tools doing work in my kid's houses ... I know what you mean ...what's their's is their's and what's mine it their's as well .... Dad - could I just borrow ....xxx and perhaps you could show me how to do ... xxx . It extends to things like carpet cleaners, pressure washers, car jacks, hedge trimmer.... and so on ...

I'll bet they weren't the cheap Tool Station/Skrewfix tools either. modern hand-tools aren't as good quality as they used to be (or they cost a lot more)

Well here's my latest innovation ... it's a prototype to try and get the proportions right ... the base is a bit too thick and the finial is too long but it's getting there. Just a bit of old apple branch wood that came off my mum's apple tree - I think it needs something darker to set of the Sputnik Sea Urchin and what I really want to do is put a light inside it ... I've got a mini key ring torch that will just fit in but switching it on and off is a problem I've got to solve .... Sputnik sea Urchin 2.jpg

How about a small rotary or push switch attached inside of the urchin end of the finial? So you twist or push the finial to switch it on and off. The light might show up the shadow of the switches and wires though.

How about a small rotary or push switch attached inside of the urchin end of the finial? So you twist or push the finial to switch it on and off. The light might show up the shadow of the switches and wires though.
Remote control ?
Yes ... it's the lack of space that's the biggest problem ... I've just sourced an even smaller keyring torch and that switches on and off by pulling the toggle on the bottom ... one pull for on, one pull for off and I'm thinking I can set that in a hole drilled in the base and a hole that goes right through to the bottom so you could pass a cord through to the base ... to switch it on and off ....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131720730272?var=431473092027
More design work to do yet ....

How about something intended for dolls houses such as this one?

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Naturra-Miniature-Ceiling-Lighting-Battery/dp/B093QCD9TB/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?
Small switches can be found using the key word 'Arduino'

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/HQRP-Thr.../B079MBK4Q1/ref=pd_sbs_4/260-8874628-2261650?
i guess it depends on the space inside the urchin.
The lamp will blow the budget .... the switches are interesting and they have led me to some of the other Arduino switched .... but ,,,, the whole thing is only about 7" tall and the sea urchin is only about 2.5" across ... certainly not enough for anything mains driven so it's going to have to be battery operated.

Thanks though ... points me in a direction I have not considered.

Latest posts

Back