Art or Firewood ? Be honest ...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The finial could be copied and used as a old fashioned type Water Waste Preventer ( Crapper) bog chain pull?

Am I being Lavvicentric???

The box is lovely. The finial reminds me of a spinning bobbin. It would also make a lovely light pull.
Funnily enough, I was thinking it wasn't far off a lace bobbin. I used to dabble a bit when I used to have time for such things (being a grown-up is not all it's cracked up to be). I think half the pleasure was a really good tactile bobbin and that finial brought it all back. Nothing nicer than working with quality items.
I think I agree that the box and finial are beautiful separate items that don't necessarily do each other justice.

Funnily enough, I was thinking it wasn't far off a lace bobbin. I used to dabble a bit when I used to have time for such things (being a grown-up is not all it's cracked up to be). I think half the pleasure was a really good tactile bobbin and that finial brought it all back. Nothing nicer than working with quality items.
I think I agree that the box and finial are beautiful separate items that don't necessarily do each other justice.
Yes I think the finial is less value than the box so it's going to have to go.. my wood turning tutor and mentor, Eric, sadly now deceased and I miss him a lot ... used to turn lace bobbins a lot ..he just liked making them ... you are right they are very tactile and decorated they are lovely to look at. I have some of his somewhere and I have made them as well...

Anybody see that wig powder puffer on Antiques Road Show last night? Was that wood or metal. I was hoping it was a beekeepers smoker 😢

I love pieces like this. I have a few I was able to buy from a former neighbour. He was in demand because his pieces were beautiful gifts.

Philip, the top of the lid and the inside of the bowl have a smooth surface. Is that from less woodworm damage or something you did?

Your finial is like something I'd want to hold as a pen - and then find myself at a bit of a loss.

Philip, the top of the lid and the inside of the bowl have a smooth surface. Is that from less woodworm damage or something you did?
I'd assume it's because the worm hadn't progressed any deeper into the wood when it was treated

Anybody see that wig powder puffer on Antiques Road Show last night? Was that wood or metal. I was hoping it was a beekeepers smoker 😢
Yes ... I saw that ... lovely design ... perhaps a use for sugar dusting varroa treaters ? I feel a project coming on ...

What impressed me was that it articulated. If you can turn wood that accurately you can definitely call yourself a craftsman!

I'd assume it's because the worm hadn't progressed any deeper into the wood when it was treated
The worm was all the way through but one side of the block was less damaged than the other and what you can see is less evidence but it is there. The other thing woodworm seem to do is track more in line with the grain and softer sections where there is moisture ..so you sometimes you don't see much surface evidence... its really annoying when you take a final cut on a piece you thought was worm free and suddenly a track appears. In this case I knew what I was dealing with... basically dust and holes held together with thin strands of timber !

Last edited:
That's very kind of all of you but there are such fantastic wood turners about in the world (and a lot in the UK) that really are very clever. Whilst I am capable of hacking out some pieces that I consider OK when you see what some people produce it leaves you in awe of what they achieve and the patience and talent they must have. I suppose its the same for many creative hobbies... you aspire to walk in the footsteps of those whose work you admire and inevitably are hyper critical of your own work. I give more of my pieces away than I sell ... there's a reason.. I hate to sell anything that I consider not perfect and on those (very few and far between) occasions when I am happy with what I've made.. I want to keep it ! Rock and a hard place....

I've found another piece of wormy wood... might try again !

You should own the fact that you're producing some nice items in an age when people are once again starting to appreciate hand crafted things. No doubt there are some who are better than you but that in itself doesn't diminish your own skills.

The finials the killer as others have said make a matching knob and it’s a great little box. Or maybe I don’t appreciate art

I think both are great but not together. I'd go the other way from most suggestions and have the finial and lid as an ornament and turn another, solid not so tall lid for the box, with wider bands and in a much more contrasting wood, not sure about either darker or much lighter though.

You did well to achieve a decent finish on wood that riddled with holes. Surprised it didnt collapse on itself.
As a fellow turner I would say the finial is a bit tall for the box which being a bit rustic, could do with maybe some sort of knob on the end!
However, decent job, I would be happy with it.
What finish did you use on the box?

You did well to achieve a decent finish on wood that riddled with holes. Surprised it didnt collapse on itself.
As a fellow turner I would say the finial is a bit tall for the box which being a bit rustic, could do with maybe some sort of knob on the end!
Just cellulose sanding sealer and my own
Chestnut spray clear satin lacquer and a careful coat of wax ... avoiding getting bits of tissue in the holes ! It was very dusty and I was a bit gentle with my cuts as I wasnt convinced there was enough strength to hold it in the chuck...

Back