Are we going to get a Winter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My prediction is that we'll get shorter days and longer nights with corresponding increases in the numbers of bored beekeepers having "fun" on the forum . . . !

Sounds a plausible prediction,
but based on what theory?

But will those in highly insulated homes suffer a 7 Year cycle relapse if they don't wedge their bathroom windows open with matchsticks? :hairpull:

13 degrees today, bees busy
Hives smelling of ivy
13/14 forecast for the next three days

still some ivy flowers left to open around here - noticed bees on the ivy at the home apiary yesterday.
Same here - hives smelling of ripening honey again.

Hope they take advantage of a nice week, the colony I found upside down last week were lighter than I'd like so feeder back on.

Bright & sunny this afternoon, plan was to clean all my spare kit & put it away till spring.

Might drive over to the abandoned hives & check they're all tucked up for winter.
Blocks on top of the roofs, entrance blocks in
& maybe handful of sugar on top of the crown boards?

So,

Here we are after one and a half days of snow!
:ohthedrama::ohthedrama::ohthedrama:

Only one of the three police officers in our village have gone to work!

The other two, BOTH traffic officers are sat at home skiving off due to the "unexpected bad weather" while the little old lady next door has been out every day to help her son with his sheep 20 miles away!

Their cars sit covered in the 3" of snow that has managed to "cut them off" from their duties on the roads while everyone else is somehow unaffected? :nono:

Strange then that, only a few years ago (during the fuel protests) that their cars were able to jump to the front of those waiting in line at the petrol stations due to their "essential" need to attend work? :icon_bs:

:xmas-smiley-010:

Last edited:
I have had two failed Royal Mail deliveries despite our usual postman managing to get his little van a hundred yards up our track. Having phoned the sorting office the reason given was that the track was impassable?

They are probably on call for emergencies, safer to stay at home than add to the chaos. What can traffic officers do to stop the snow, it is the other idiots that have gone out in it, despite the warnings, that need criticising. But there we go, what would you know about real policing!
I was going to leave it there but I think I will add an edit. Think about it, the Police are saying the road conditions are too dangerous to drive yet you expect them to drive! What happens is you ring in to book on duty and are told that if you are needed for the local area you will be contacted.if they actually do what you are saying then others would criticise them for being out in the dangerous conditions. I just hate it when people like you sling mud from a distance without any knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes.
E

Last edited:
Yodel man was here this morning, always reliable, able to find us and deliver everything without damaging it.

I don't think some bother at all till they have 1/2 a van full for the village.

They are probably on call for emergencies,

Bobble hats & wellies the new uniform then?
We have 3 officers in the village;

1 is what you'd expect from a "regular Copper". Honest & Law abiding.

It's only the other two that frustrate me! Standing in uniform telling the students they shouldn't park in front of their house for one example?

I just hate it when people like you sling mud from a distance without any knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes.
E

I have 3 close friends who are in the police, They would agree that
it's the actions of just a small minority of undisciplined members that puts the whole force in a bad light.

Last edited:
I can understand why you might feel the police are picking on you millet.;)

Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past

From the Independent March 2000

BY CHARLES ONIANS Monday 20 March 2000
PRINT A A A
Britain's winter ends tomorrow with further indications of a striking environmental change: snow is starting to disappear from our lives.

Sledges, snowmen, snowballs and the excitement of waking to find that the stuff has settled outside are all a rapidly diminishing part of Britain's culture, as warmer winters - which scientists are attributing to global climate change - produce not only fewer white Christmases, but fewer white Januaries and Februaries.

The first two months of 2000 were virtually free of significant snowfall in much of lowland Britain, and December brought only moderate snowfall in the South-east. It is the continuation of a trend that has been increasingly visible in the past 15 years: in the south of England, for instance, from 1970 to 1995 snow and sleet fell for an average of 3.7 days, while from 1988 to 1995 the average was 0.7 days. London's last substantial snowfall was in February 1991.

Global warming, the heating of the atmosphere by increased amounts of industrial gases, is now accepted as a reality by the international community. Average temperatures in Britain were nearly 0.6°C higher in the Nineties than in 1960-90, and it is estimated that they will increase by 0.2C every decade over the coming century. Eight of the 10 hottest years on record occurred in the Nineties.

However, the warming is so far manifesting itself more in winters which are less cold than in much hotter summers. According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia,within a few years winter snowfall will become "a very rare and exciting event".

"Children just aren't going to know what snow is
," he said.

https://web.archive.org/web/2015091...-are-now-just-a-thing-of-the-past-724017.html

Another expert speaking out of his depth

From the Independent March 2000

BY CHARLES ONIANS Monday 20 March 2000
PRINT A A A
Britain's winter ends tomorrow with further indications of a striking environmental change: snow is starting to disappear from our lives.

in the south of England, for instance,within a few years winter snowfall will become "a very rare and exciting event".

"Children just aren't going to know what snow is
," he said.

Another expert speaking out of his depth

Or Speaking for London & the S-East? ?
Oh well, off to work now, let's see how many can't make it because of burst pipes etc???????

:bump:

Latest posts

Back