Are these miner bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Riviera Kid

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Are the bees in the attached pics miner bees?

They look like honey bees superficially but there was almost no buzz and they were living in the ground. I thought that miner bees were solitary but I have just read that they will share a good site. There were plenty of them around - I counted 10 or so at the 3 entrances under the slab that seems to be their home.

They were clearly gathering pollen but the corbicula looked elongated rather than rounded like on a honey bee.

I'm sorry for the poor picture quality. the bees were not obligingly sitting in good light.

The ones I saw were a lot fluffier and more orange, but there are lots of different types aren't there.

Colletes_spp.jpg

Colletes daviesanus - a mining bee
Colletes daviesanus is a medium sized bee that has narrow white bands on its abdomen. They are particularly fond of flowers of the daisy family such as Anthemis and Achillea.

Andrena%20scotica%20side.jpg

Andrena scotica - a mining bee
Left a female Andrena scotica newly emerged from her underground nest

Andrena_haemorrhoa.jpg

Mining Bee - Andrena haemorrhoa
This little bee is often quite common in gardens that have plenty of bare soil. Andrena species nest underground in loose soil. Andrena haemorrhoa flies in April and May. There are several other ground nesting Andrenas likely to turn up in gardens. They range in size from quite small (about 8mm) to honey bee size.

look a lot like the masonry bees in the sand cliffs or morain quaternry wash out between Wembury and Bovisands bay in S Devon.

Latest posts

Back