Are my bees dead?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicola123

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I left my solitary bee house unattended and checked it today to clean it out but I think all the bees inside must be dead - what do you think? 1821EA01-5CCA-42FB-AB43-CFB3EF21316C.jpeg

Hi Nicola, Not sure what we are looking at here ? Is this a box for solitary bees ?
Yes - the roof section is hinged and it has 3 layers of holes - when you tip back the roof it reveals the top layer of holes under Perspex - the rest you can’t view easily unless you take it apart to clean.

Thank you - I was afraid of that. I left it for over a year and you should clean them out to ensure no mites and sand off any rough edges. I wasn’t sure what I was looking at as they look dead but can’t work out why that would be 😟

You want full sun…….
Thank you - one other is south facing but I do worry they will overheat in summer - but I’ll clean this one out and put on the south facing wall. Should I try to shade them from the summer heat a little?

Thank you - I was afraid of that. I left it for over a year and you should clean them out to ensure no mites and sand off any rough edges. I wasn’t sure what I was looking at as they look dead but can’t work out why that would be 😟
I never clean mine. The bees do it themselves.
In full sun. Mine face south on a sunny wall.

Latest posts

Back