Are all scrub Queens poor?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Got a spare coat DrS?"

Very hot and humid here so my coat is free to anyone who needs to borrow it. can i have it back for early hours tuesday though?

Sugar bush, could i ask you to answer this question: if a bait box becomes populated by a wild swarm are the bees instantly domesticated?

The issue you are having is that you are confusing the terms "wild" and feral. If a feral swarm comes and populates your bait trap, then yes, they are domestic bees, if they ignore your bait trap and move into the eve of your house or a hollow tree they are still domestic bees.

You have wild bees in UK; you can read about them here: http://www.foxleas.com/PDF/wild bees.pdf

There are wild populations of honey bees in Africa and some other places around the world, they are generally quite aggressive and have resisted man's attempts to domesticate them.

A domestic house cat can live quite well on it's own and even develop a fear of man; but it is still a domestic house cat.

After 50 posts, I don't think anyone has twigged that by definition a 'scrub queen' is a sub-standard queen. So the answer to the original non-question was - yes.

Well here is where I have been confused. We don't have the term "scrub" for queens here in the US. So I assumed that by "scrub" the OP was referring to any queen the bees raised on their own.

We squish sub-par queens. You can get a sub-par queen from a grafted cell or from one they selected and raised.

getting back on topic - i'm sure sugarbush might be interested in the John Harding method - rearing using two queenright colonies at once!!!!

http://www.bibba.com/john_harding_method.php

Interesting read. It is something to keep in the back of my mind to try in the future. Looks like and easy way to raise a lot of queens with very little work or manipulation. not worthy

sugarbush,

So I assumed that by "scrub" the OP was referring to any queen the bees raised on their own.

No. Scrub means sub-par. That is why this whole thread is rather pointless, technically.

Regards, RAB

Sugarbush - you'll have to add another item to your American-English translation.

Latest posts

Back