Applied apiguard

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichieDug

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 colonies
I applied apiguard to my two nation hives on Thursday, one brood and a half & one brood only. The brood only also has a newly hatched queen and is now covered with bees on the front of side of the hive is this the result of the apigaurd? The brood and a half all appears o.k. Before applying the apiguard I remove the supers but there was not any honey in them just drawn foundation.

This is my first season so I am unsure of the affects that apiguard may have on a colony.

Any advice appreciated.

Richard

Not the first report of this behaviour, some bees obviously hate the stuff. The fumes will be less intense in the brood and half.

This is my first season so I am unsure of the affects that apiguard may have on a colony.

Have you read their FAQs pages etc on the net?

I put in apiguard in the FAQ and the search returned nil.

Try the manufacturer's website. It says:
Q: The bees are forming a beard at the entrance to the colony; does this mean
the Api<edit to stop spam>gard is harming them?
A:
Bees often form a beard when it’s just too hot inside the hive. However, they
do this sometimes in hot conditions when Apiguard is first introduced to the hive as
they are not used to the vapour that can build up quickly in hot conditions. This
behaviour is usually transitory and the bees will go back into the hive. It is rare for the
bees to abscond.

Nose Ma Thanks for the reply, this makes sense as it has warmed up today.

Back