apidea querie

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rje66

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Had a box from earlier this summer that due to cold QC failed ,but I left box to its own devices just out of curiosity. As it still contained beesI then added a QC a week ago and I have noticed her on flights around front of hive. My question is as the original number of bees has dwindled can I add more bees and if so what's best method or will a low number of bees keep her happy till she lays, but is this tooo long to wait?
I have a spare empty apidea box that I can get bees from the apiary to transfer to my box in the garden, thoughts?
Hope this makes sense.

Similar thread recently... we top our mating nucs with young non flying freshly hatched bees from a brood frame.... take a brood frame covered with bees and gently walk away fifty plus paces from the colony... flying bees will... fly!

Gently shake attached bees into a bucket and gently mist with warm rosemary water... add a mugful of bees to each apidea through sliding floor.

Works for us

Yeghes da

Thanks, that all makes sense. So just for clarity ,when a mating nuc is referred to is it an apidea box or a 5 frame nuc or treat both the same??

Thanks, that all makes sense. So just for clarity ,when a mating nuc is referred to is it an apidea box or a 5 frame nuc or treat both the same??

I call a mating nuc something that has a small frame, 3 x 3 inches... a NUC.. a three, five or six frame job that take full sized standard national frames... or something in that range..
With NUCs , to boost capacity generally whole frame of brood are added... never (yet!!) had a problem with putting them in with attached young brood bees... remember the ferrymoan masking rosemary water tho!

Yeghes da

Back