apidea feeding

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betterbee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
given the choice when starting an apidea is a frame of open honey better than fondant or syrup in the feed compartment

Not sure how you intend on giving them honey but I would avoid, I can’t see any advantage at all. Plus possibly cutting up a chunk of honey is more likely to cause other problems. I would also stick with syrup over fondant as I confine mine for a period and it at least gives them a water source.

no have a supply of apidea frames filled with honey just wondering 1 frame extra with honey instead of feeder

no have a supply of apidea frames filled with honey just wondering 1 frame extra with honey instead of feeder

Nurse bees (which is what you should fill your Apidea with) are perfect for drawing comb and establishing a new colony but they don't open frames of sealed honey very well. You also want to keep them confined for 3-4 days while they become acquainted with their new virgin queen after she emerges from her cell. So, it's a good idea to give them foundation to work on which keeps them occupied while confined.
Those little frames don't offer very much space for the little colony to develop so it's best not to reduce it further. If your honey frame is unsealed, they should be able to access it though.

Latest posts

Back