Apiamondia

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Apprentices

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
3 Modified Warre
Like the title, I have heard mention of a small type of hive of a similar name for rearing queens, does anyone have any good pictures of these or could point me towards any,
thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I presume you mean an apidea?

If you google... Sorry g**gle, "apidea" you'll find suppliers and photos in no time. Sorry, not going to play censorship lottery by trying to include links.

TA, I don't yet fully understand the workings of apidea - but I can spot a nicely made box!

Yet another beautiful object made by The Apprentices :drool5:

TA, I don't yet fully understand the workings of apidea - but I can spot a nicely made box!
:)

Heh, that's why I used the term experimental, who knows my trying to think outside this paticular box may or may not work like I invisage, guided in part by others, its about two hours of my spare time and about 5 quid in materials, some new some free from the merchant scrap bin, which are getting increasingly harder to secure these days.

Malvina Reynolds once sang about little boxes all looking just the same.

I will definately let you know what happens.

If they are meant to be a version of an Apidea then they should have a large compartment in relation to the hive for syrup or fondant.

If they are meant to be a version of an Apidea then they should have a large compartment in relation to the hive for syrup or fondant.

Hi Tom

I have made the box slightly larger than the run of the mill Apidea so I can either place inside a frame feeder which is greater in volume than the poly versions, I'm also making a top feeder with a rapid central entrance.

The shape and volume of the ready made items is slightly out of balance, a squared box accomodates things better it seems.

I'm Just playing really, and its a great curve learning from others like yourself along the way.

I am very lucky that I can easily make things with the skills I have much/much cheaper than the new ones, from recycled materials without uneccessary harm to the immediate enviornment which suits us here.

I know its probably all been done before, but I simply love to learn by design/manufacture and possible failure along the way, what else is life all about.

A question for all,

Is it absolutely critical for her majesty not to gain access to the candy?

Lovely bit of wood work but...

Why are they made from poly normally? Simply because of warmth.

These little units are under a huge stress and because there are (relatively) few bees then warmth is crucial to them. Not to mention helping avoid nosema which they are prone to suffer from.

I am not banging the poly drum as such here but on behalf of the bees it is not I feel a suitable way to make such a unit.

PH

Last edited:
Lovely bit of wood work but...

Why are they made from poly normally? Simply because of warmth.

These little units are under a huge stress and because there are (relatively) few bees then warmth is crucial to them. Not to mention helping avoid nosema which they are prone to suffer from.

I am not banging the poly drum as such here but on behalf of the bees it is not I feel a suitable way to make such a unit.

PH

Hmm>>>>>>>

One of the very best insulators is timber, the poly model see have quite a bit of ventillation because of its heat retaining properties no doub't.

The model I have made here can hold double the number of bees than most poly models and with less venting will be much warmer than its counterpart, but extra strike out vents can be incorporated at will with a drill.

There is an old saying which my grandfather himself a bee keeper of old, who kept 20 hives for 60 years in our farm orchard, which says" Heat is half meat" meaning if you can keep warm you only need half the food, but keeping cooler is far harder because no matter how much food one has, it counteracts the expelled energy in doing so, thus creating heat you cannot get rid of, (works both ways).

The roof section will have a top feeder incorporated into it so the very top quilt section does'nt need to be removed to replenish food stocks and the bees do not get disturbed, the very top platform is removeable showing only the feeder.

Animal or in this case insect husbandry is not going to be sacrificed by a seasoned man of the land such as myself, you can sleep easy knowing that the bees will have first priority in that scence, this is a theme upon similar experiments done by others in the past, before poly anything arrived.

I have a bee station and other recording devices for making detailed files on how things are inside on the days when its not suitable.

On a closing note an apparatus this size can easily be shielded from the heat wave, by extending the dovetailled post mount to include a roof.

Isn't bee keeping fun stuff :)

Double the number of bees?

Does not that rather defeat the reason for existence of these little units which is to make queens using the min amount of bees?

By all means play away, but the point seems.... pointless to be honest.

On my very first beekeeping course many years ago now I was told by B. Mobus that there were more, far more than enough hives in existence. His plea which I echo was and mine is, we really do not need another hive type in the UK

PH

Last edited:
Double the number of bees?

Does not that rather defeat the reason for existence of these little units which is to make queens using the min amount of bees?

By all means play away, but the point seems.... pointless to be honest.

PH

From a hole in a tree to a myriad of different sized hotels made and offered up by man, why should it really matter as long as it works in the end.
Conjecture not really, constructive critisism and debate yes, and knowledge going fowards is what counts.

No.....but they will make comb in the feed compartment and the queen will lay eggs in there.

Nice looking mating nuc,but perhaps a little over engineered...but thats fine as your enjoying yourself.

Timber is fine for mini mating nucs,Michael collier runs around one thousand of them, and they are less hassle than the poly one's,i intend to do much the same.

No.....but they will make comb in the feed compartment and the queen will lay eggs in there.

Nice looking mating nuc,but perhaps a little over engineered...but thats fine as your enjoying yourself.

Timber is fine for mini mating nucs,Michael collier runs around one thousand of them, and they are less hassle than the poly one's,i intend to do much the same.

I enjoy spending the extra half hour to make a few simple dovetails, its not really that hard once you done a few.

Thanks for the heads up on the feeder and egg laying scenario, a few other places have had the queens in there too despite there being an excluder present, must be very weak plastic or something faulty in the sizing perhaps.

Like I mentioned before we don't like buying slave labour crap from China or anywhere else come to that, with the creativity that comes by making things yourself, things are gauranteed to be available when others become far too expensive, this will eventually start happening when the Chinese Joe can afford his own home grown product/s.

Has anyone noticed any condensation problems with the plastic mini's the styrene cannot absorb water like timber can, just wondering.

No condensation problems with the poly mini nucs.....
Yes i agree dovetails and box joints are easy,we do thousands of them....mass producing these mini mating box's will be the most important thing as far as i am concerned,rapid production.

Latest posts

Back