Api bioxal treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardBlack

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I carry out the api-bioxal trickling around new year, as I don’t use the vapouriser.

Obviously to get at the main cluster in the Brood box, supers have to be removed temporarily.

Would you recommend replacing the super(s) again straightaway after trickling, or keeping them off the hive for a day or two, in case it taints the honey?

Is there a guide to what is an acceptable numbers of varroa drop after winter treatment?

I’m thinking my numbers seemed a bit high.

Over a 4 day period:

Hive 1 = 228 mites (57 per day)
Hive 2 = 255 mites (64 per day)

Any thoughts?

Is there a guide to what is an acceptable numbers of varroa drop after winter treatment?

I’m thinking my numbers seemed a bit high.

Over a 4 day period:

Hive 1 = 228 mites (57 per day)
Hive 2 = 255 mites (64 per day)

Any thoughts?
There’s no right or wrong number after a winter treatment, your trying to kill as many as possible in a broodless period. If you think numbers are high, what did you use in the autumn?

There’s no right or wrong number after a winter treatment, your trying to kill as many as possible in a broodless period. If you think numbers are high, what did you use in the autumn?
I didn’t treat them in autumn, as mite count was low, and didn’t feel the need to do it.

The winter numbers just felt bigger now though, than other years.

Must go back to my records and see if I recorded winter drop numbers.

I didn’t treat them in autumn, as mite count was low, and didn’t feel the need to do it.

The winter numbers just felt bigger now though, than other years.

Must go back to my records and see if I recorded winter drop numbers.
I’d suggest the lack of an autumn treatment is a mistake particularly if you relying on a drop measurement. Even a single vape would give a better idea. There’s options for Autumn treatments and it’s the most critical time of year. Whilst winter oxalic will give you as clean a start as possible for this coming season it’s last Autumns treatment that gives you healthy bees heading into winter, it’s also the time that mite levels and be numbers will really will be out of sync.

I didn’t treat them in autumn
The winter numbers just felt bigger now though
maybe because you didn't bother treating them in September

studying natural mite drop on an inspection tray is about as useful to calculating varroa load as slicing open a live chicken and inspecting its entrails

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back