Anyone tried to make a honey ice cream?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nelletap

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 - and a promising bait hive
I am allergic to cows milk and bought an ice cream maker a few years ago so I can experiment with soya milk. (Actually my best recipes were using almond milk but that is a long story). I have also found that using a spirit in my ice cream is a good way to keep it more spoonable - not sure hubby realises how much of his stocks I pinch having found that out!
I think an almond milk and honey ice cream would be a good combination but don't want to waste the honey and/or alcohol with too many experiments. Anyone have any tips?
Tricia

Sounds good Nellie; can I get my spoon and a bowl. I fancy the job as your taster . . .

Experiment away, I'm sure it all tastes very good. :party:

That looks an interesting recipe. I can't use it as it is (it has cream) but I could try substituting a mixture of almond milk and creamed coconut. Or perhaps increasing the amount of honey and replacing a reduced volume of cream with almond milk. Coconut can be quite a strong taste and might swamp the almond and honey tastes.

hi Tricia how about goats milk or sheep milk? Are you allergic to those too? I made some great ice cream with honey, cointreau and mascarpone cheese but I guess that doesn't help much either.....

In theory I can use goats, sheep or soya milk - or coconut. I was put off the first two as I was told that if I used them I would then need to take a whole lot more vitamins or supplements as if they would 'each' them out of me. The coconut milk seems to freeze dreadfully solidly - even with a dollop of alcohol. I like the sound of the cointreau recipe. Perhaps I should have another go with the Soya milk though the almond milk was probably my favourite.
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll have to try and arrange a tasting if the family don't devour it first.
Tricia

In theory I can use goats, sheep or soya milk - or coconut. I was put off the first two as I was told that if I used them I would then need to take a whole lot more vitamins or supplements as if they would 'each' them out of me.

What does 'each' mean? I only drink goats milk because I too cant drink cows milk. I dont like soya milk and never heard of the other.

Sorry, the 'each' should have been 'leach'. I did not ask for an explanation of why I needed all the extra vitamins but was wary of starting to take anything for the rest of my life when I was still comparatively young!
I have just realised another option could be to use yoghourt. I am allergic to the protein in the milk and the process of making yoghourt kills the protein. (You have to be careful though as some manufactrers seem to add back some protein at the end!) using it instead of milk for cooking is not always a good idea as the heat causes problems but for ice-cream it will probably work.
Do you know what part of the milk affects you? I was also told that condensed milk (yuk) would probably be free of the protein for a similar reason - it's killed at a little over 100 degrees celsius.
The almond milk cannot be purchased as such, but basically you mix ground almonds with hot water and create a flavoured liquid of a similar consistency to milk.
Tricia
tricia

Horchata de Chuffa (Tiger nuts) is very popular in Spain, but I have never seen it on sale in the UK. It is a very refreshing milky drink with an almond like aromatic taste.

Not a lot of cop for cooking, but might be good for ice cream - in Spain . . . :smash:

A local gourmet chocolate company makes "stuff in a tub" which is an organic dairy free "ice cream" with cashew nuts as the base instead of cream. Tastes really good.
Cazza

That is really interesting. I think that using nuts as the basis for a liquid makes it easy to keep it smooth for scooping because the 'liquid' is actually small particles of a solid in a sort of suspension. I still add alcohol, of course, to make sure it stays soft.

Has anyone got any recipes they can recommend? I know a nice one was published in BBKA news a few years ago but I can't seem to find it now.

Mango, yogurt, and honey icecream

I regularly make a healthy icecream....although strictly speaking it's a frozen yogurt, but we still eat it out of a cone! The recipe was featured on one of Jamie Oliver's 30minute meals, and I wrote it down......I don't want to breach copyright, so will just tell you that it contains chunks of frozen mango shredded in a food processor, natural yogurt, honey, zest of a lime, and some mint leaves. 'Waz' it all up together and either serve straight away or freeze for later. I'm sure you could look up the recipe.....it's quick, it's wonderful, and I thoroughly recommend it!

Thanks - I'll look up this recipe. Though yoghourt has cows milk I think the process kills the caseinate which is the bit I am allergic to so I should be able to tolerate this
Tricia

I made some great ice cream with honey, cointreau and mascarpone cheese but I guess that doesn't help much either.....

Hi EB ... Ressurecting this post as we are now into 'summer' and ice cream is on the agenda ... Do you have a recipe for this ice cream - it sounds absolutely delicious and those of us who don't care about our waistline would enjoy it !

I use my ice cream maker all the time
Recipe, three egg yolks whisked with 2 oz caster sugar, add good slurp of Cointreau heat over water and stir constantly until it begins to thicken. Add two desert spoons of home made lemon curd from freezer to cool rapidly. ( lemon and oranges from booze) whisk up three egg whites add 1 oz icing sugar, whisk again and fold in, add to ice cream maker and when churning pour in about one third of a pint of double cream. When beginning to freeze, spoon into storage box, put in freezer and lick off all pans stirrers etc!
Ice cream is soft scoop because of lemons and alcohol and is puuurrrfect
E

...I don't want to breach copyright, so will just tell you that it contains chunks of frozen mango shredded in a food processor, natural yogurt, honey, zest of a lime, and some mint leaves. 'Waz' it all up together and either serve straight away or freeze for later. ...

There is no copyright on a list of ingredients and quantities.
There is on the wording of any description. But its on the wording, not the method.
So a copy-and-paste of the text is in breach of copyright, but a paraphrase is your own work.

However, if you were to plagarise a large proportion of a recipe book, that might attract the protection of the law. ... The quantities and ingredients for one? No way.

See for example http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2006/mar/24/foodanddrink.uk

Latest posts

Back