Anyone had experience taking honey in hand luggage?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makes no difference which way up or down it is with comb honey, i have posted comb honey, even to USA, no problems at all.

Yep, I received mine in good shape. :)

I've carried comb honey on planes. Even took a full case with me…hand carried it to the UK last autumn. No problem.

I also carried all the jars of liquid honey given me, back home in my checked luggage. Each jar wrapped in a shirt. No problem.

The hand baggage mullarkey goes without saying - liquids and gels - under 100ml (I fully understand why these restrictions after my bomb making lessons with the military academy last year!).
But there are also animal/human health considerations
POAO - products of animal origin, and there are special rules with honey and hive products. try this link haven't got time to check them myself at the moment, but if you see a mention of Lesotho honey, let me know!!!

Due to recently implemented legislation in the European Union. All honey (regardless of the quantity) must be exported by an AQIS registered exporter and must obtain appropriate export certification.
I would say it will be confiscated as it goes through hand luggage machine!

Sorry, but it needs a reference to support the suggestion that specific goods are NOT in "free circulation" within the EU and EEA.
Does it perhaps relate to Australia (which seems to be the origin of AQIS)?

My personal understanding is that honey can be freely moved within the EU and the EEA as long as it is appropriately (and correctly) labelled - not least as being produced within the EU (like "Produce of England" - as usual).

However, unless in containers smaller than 100ml, there is no way you could get away with it in cabin baggage.
I have personally taken a few jars (sealed inside vacpac Foodsaver bags for safety, inside my checked luggage) to France and (EEA) Switzerland.

Would like to take a jar of last years set honey in my hand-luggage to Kobenhavn this weekend for a friend.

Concerned that it may be an issue at the airport luggage check. Anyone had experience with this? Do you think it will be a problem?

Yes, it is likely to be a problem unless you carefully repackage in containers equal to, or less than, 100ml and then put those in approved plastic bags. (Wrong bags, and you'll have to buy new ones at the airport.) Some airlines will limit the total amount of liquids at 500ml, so if you plan to do that it would be best to check with the carrier.

And in the most attractive containers for comb honey that i have seen.

The cut comb containers used in the UK are ugly. Opaque bottoms so you can't see the comb. To me, part of the attraction of a nice comb honey package is in seeing the comb structure.

DSC_6306_zps46c2e396.jpg

Code:
[CODE]
[/CODE]
Yes, it is likely to be a problem unless you carefully repackage in containers equal to, or less than, 100ml and then put those in approved plastic bags.

I think you'll find that won't work - it will still be more than 100ml of the same liquid the 100ml concession is to allow people to take a small selection of different toiletries in their hand baggage - multiples of the same substance in small quantities packaged in your hand baggage IMHO would have you regretting wearing your second best underpants that day!

I think you'll find that won't work - it will still be more than 100ml of the same liquid the 100ml concession is to allow people to take a small selection of different toiletries in their hand baggage - multiples of the same substance in small quantities packaged in your hand baggage IMHO would have you regretting wearing your second best underpants that day!

I know that's the way it's meant to work, but I've seen it done - but with jam, not honey. Although these rules should be standardised, maybe it depends on the person doing the luggage checks?

Had a holiday in Oz in 2002 and visited a bee farm/shop and bought some manuka honey. Made the mistake of then going over to New Zealand. Guess what?
Guess what: that "Manuka honey" from Oz, was highly likely to be Jellybush honey called Manuka. Several of the Queensland brands label it like that e.g. Australian Manuka Honey...
Jellybush tastes much worse than Manuka, it ranks (in both senses of the word!) right down there with Buckwheat Honey, which I've heard described as smelling like animal urine!

Latest posts

Back