Anyone got an explanation?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joolsp

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I did an AS two weeks ago.
Hive B : Old queen (marked but not clipped) in new hive on old position, one frame with her, no queen cells on it, rest of hive with foundation, full super on top.
Hive A: Old hive, new position, with queen cells.

So far so text book (i hope!)

On Friday, the colony in Hive B swarmed into a pergola 3 doors down.
I got suited up and checked inside the hive before I went to get them - no queen cells and they have built barely any new comb. Didn't see the old queen.
Went off down the road to fetch them - minutes after i get there they set off again. Waved bye bye. Went home - found them back in the hive.

Checked through later on after they had settled and found the old queen right as rain. I added a drawn brood frame to help them on their way.

So why did they swarm? There are no queen cells so it must have been another reason. They have honey to fuel wax building, access to water, loads of space, good queen.

Why aren't they building wax when I have artificially swarmed them?

I am also puzzled about another thing - I can understand them setting off and coming back if they found the queen didn't fly with them but is it usual for them to settle somewhere before they realise that? I understood that when they swarmed they 'followed' the queen's scent to where she initially lands. If she's not with them how come they settled at all?
And if she was with them why would they come back ?

I'm glad they did but would like to know why they went in the first place...

Jools,

"when they swarmed they 'followed' the queen's scent to where she initially lands."

...thisisn't what they do.

in this case, as they clustered so close to the hive, I think it's highly likely that she didn't leave and they gave up. Have you checked to see if there are any eggs in the new comb in 'B'

richard

Jools,

"when they swarmed they 'followed' the queen's scent to where she initially lands."

...thisisn't what they do.

in this case, as they clustered so close to the hive, I think it's highly likely that she didn't leave and they gave up. Have you checked to see if there are any eggs in the new comb in 'B'

richard

Oh Ok - my misunderstanding of the mechanics of swarming.
Have not looked for eggs yet - just did check quick enough to see the queen was there and have left them to get on with it for a bit, will check at the weekend.

The swarming impulse might have been just too great for your artificial swarm. And remember it is mostly younger bees that draw wax, and your artificial swarm will have contained mostly older/forager bees. Perhaps also they got clogged up with necater - lots of income, not much drawing of wax.

With swarming, the workers are the ones that leave first, and the queen follows. I would check that pergola if you loose any swarms in the future.

Latest posts

Back