Anyone else doing the uni round?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There were long stretches without road lighting.

I just had visions of you driving along in total darkness crashing into hedges etc.:icon_204-2:

There is none at all around here, we have no light pollution, thank the lord.

I just had visions of you driving along in total darkness crashing into hedges etc.:icon_204-2:

I thought it was a sign that visitors weren't welcome on Dartmoor lol

It seemed to me that all the bends in the road were completely black....it made for difficult driving

He has no interest in bees, although, he did do an investigation on the zone of inhibition created by honey on e.coli plates.

Mine didn't want to be a vet either

Of course. The road was b****y dark though. There were long stretches without road lighting.

You must be a towny......I'm the same, hate dark roads whereas Stan prefers them in the lanes....says you can see something's coming well before you need to avoid them.

Compared to the hour + I had to drive from Plymouth to Exeter last night (in complete darkness), I'm sure it will be ok

As all non town roads should be. It would cut down on the debt for one thing and it doesn't make any difference to the amount of crashes, if anything no streetlights should mean less as people drive slower when there arnt any.

Also it cuts down crime as burglars are wimps now days, they are afraid of the dark to so wont burgle in an area that doesn't have them, and this is proven by police forces. Its just people wanting them as they think it makes them more safe.

We're changing all the light in the valley to directional LED - no way I could get the rest of the council to consider cutting down on lights - not even in the outlying areas. You can already see the difference - lot less light pollution from the loom of the lamps and the valley is discernibly darker and the energy consumption is a lot less.

The take up and bring back runs can be worse, seven years of car laden trips with everything including the kitchen sink, we had our boy in Edinburgh doing a BA then M lit and our Daughter at Bristol doing Msci Chemisty then a Phd....that almost bankrupted me and 1000miles drive each September and July taking and bringing back more junk each time

The take up and bring back runs can be worse, seven years of car laden trips with everything including the kitchen sink, ...

We're still doing those, doesn't seem as if they ever end. Even so I'd say they have to choose the place they will be happiest in, with as little parental influence as possible, after all they will be living there for at least three years.

Sometimes it's just "a feeling" that a particular university will be the best choice because the buildings are pretty and there aren't too many Canada Geese on campus!

As all non town roads should be. It would cut down on the debt for one thing and it doesn't make any difference to the amount of crashes, if anything no streetlights should mean less as people drive slower when there arnt any.

Also it cuts down crime as burglars are wimps now days, they are afraid of the dark to so wont burgle in an area that doesn't have them, and this is proven by police forces. Its just people wanting them as they think it makes them more safe.

The human eye finds my yard totally dark but it's flooded with infra red and everything completely visible to the cctv cameras. Just watched the milkman delivering this mornings pinta. :)
He's an early riser.

I recommend the University of Plymouth... new Peninsular buildings dedicated to medicine.... and a safe and enlightening campus, with plentiful affordable student accommodation
Although in a different faculty and before the Billion dollar redevelopment was underway I spent a happy and challenging 7 years studying there.

Also a lot of honeybee research in the pipeline and some underway....

Between the fantastic coastline, serene deep valleys and stunning moors, Plymouth is the Jewell in the crown of the South West

Yeghes da

I recommend the University of Plymouth

Thanks Icanhopit. I thought you'd have positive things to say about Plymouth ;-)
They seemed to be taking two labs at a time out of the loop for refurbishment so it was clear that they're investing a lot of money in the science faculty.
He is definitely interested in studying there.
Unfortunately, we arrived a bit later than hoped and didnt get to see the halls of residence accommodation. I think he'd go into halls for the first year and rent later. The course has some large blocks embedded in hospital labs though (especially year 2 & 3), so I am not sure if he'd be in Plymouth all of the time. They are assigned to hospitals all over the south west.
Unless Cardiff Met really blows his mind, I think Plymouth will be his first choice.
One thing that Cardiff does have going for it is the money that the Welsh government are putting behind training enough people to satisfy the NHS requirements in the future, so, instead of graduating with a massive student loan to pay off, he could be relatively debt-free.

Well it was getting that way around here, the council had a brain wave to save money switch off all unnecessary lighting but they forgot to install cats eyes and white markings. After a public outcry they are fitting LED lamps now to residential areas but still leaving previously switched off areas unlit :hairpull:

You must be a towny......I'm the same, hate dark roads whereas Stan prefers them in the lanes....says you can see something's coming well before you need to avoid them.

If you need to avoid them then it's usually a townie driving down the middle of the road, Full beam on, at half the speed limit with a tail-back of cars unable to overtake! :auto:

Beacons!! designated a dark sky reserve in 2013

Fully intended to drive through/Via Brecon a fortnight ago.

However SWMBO over-rode the sat-nav and we went via Ebbw Vale, (BLACK as the Ace of spades through the road works)!

Fortunately she was on hand to offer verbal assistance from the passenger seat, when not shining her "map-reading" light in my face. :svengo:

Latest posts

Back