Anybody keep pigs?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
As the title says - I moved here last year from Shrewsbury and my neighbour convinced me we should get a couple of pigs - which we now have. GOS crossed with Middle Whites. Funny things but I am hoping the taste will be worth the effort :)

Regards

JD

As the title says - I moved here last year from Shrewsbury and my neighbour convinced me we should get a couple of pigs - which we now have. GOS crossed with Middle Whites. Funny things but I am hoping the taste will be worth the effort :)

Regards

JD
I think most of us keep them to some degree,they run the country,or try to.

I have kept pigs, but not since 1999 when I fattened up a couple of Tamworth weaners. It was great fun and the meat was exceptional, but I felt a bit of a Judas when I dropped them off at the abbatoir. I should never have let the kids name them.
The other thing that stopped me repeating the process was the paperwork - not my strong point. I had a visit from MAFF (now DEFRA) wanting to see my herd medicine book. I said I've never given them medicine. So I ended up with an empty book with the label "herd medicine book" and they were quite happy with that. I guess things are worse now after foot and mouth?

we have - a couple of Cinta Senese x Nera Modenese (black hairy rarebreeds) two years ago. at 7 months 125kg each live - 100kg carcasses.

great tasting meat (slightly too much fat due to overfeeding by OH). could've slaughtered at home but ended up taking to abbatoir in horrendous snow - which meant it was 11 days hanging for the carcasses. helped through to the end and had great time assisting with getting a 450kg monster into the stun cage.

only regret was wasn't allowed the blood.

needless to say - you need a big freezer!!!!!

another tip - if not used to carcasses and knives - you can get cheap butchery sets off american clearance sites online and i'd advise buying a whole lamb to practise on first !!!! £70-80 well invested in my book.

and for all you budding Dexters out there - ikea rectangular plastic storage bins are great for bits of carcasses (some even fit in fridges), have lids and can also be used for brining/curing.

Last edited:
we have - a couple of Cinta Senese x Nera Modenese (black hairy rarebreeds) two years ago. at 7 months 125kg each live - 100kg carcasses.

great tasting meat (slightly too much fat due to overfeeding by OH). could've slaughtered at home but ended up taking to abbatoir in horrendous snow - which meant it was 11 days hanging for the carcasses. helped through to the end and had great time assisting with getting a 450kg monster into the stun cage.

only regret was wasn't allowed the blood.

needless to say - you need a big freezer!!!!!

another tip - if not used to carcasses and knives - you can get cheap butchery sets off american clearance sites online and i'd advise buying a whole lamb to practise on first !!!! £70-80 well invested in my book.

and for all you budding Dexters out there - ikea rectangular plastic storage bins are great for bits of carcasses (some even fit in fridges), have lids and can also be used for brining/curing.
I wish we had the space for pigs. We were buying british saddlebacks from a local lady who bred and fattened them but alas shes sold up. We bought them as whole or half carcasses and did the butchery ourselves, so saving her and us money.
With a bit of practice you dont need as big a freezer as you might think,
cured hams, bacon, and dried sausages can mean almost the entire pig can be preserved without freezing or with out freezing for a month or two.
Getting the curing to taste takes practice well worth the effort.
Making your own sausages is a culinary journey well worth it.
fat content, grinding size, seasoning so much to explore...
We would not go back to shop bought. It tastes better and I can eat what are really intelligent affectionate animals with a clearer concienscence knowing that they have lived well., and knowing I have had the courage to look them in the eye in both life, death and on the plate.

Derek

Last edited:
We are in a pig club. eight families share four pigs, half each at the end. We look after them in rota and share all costs easy peasy!

Well the pigs are getting on for 16 weeks old now and have more then doubled in size with little or no fat on them. My mate wants lots of fat whilst I am happy with just a little so we have a minor battle of wills going on LOL. Have a friendly landlady who is giving us half a gallon of Guinness slops every week. The plan is to see how they work out this year and then maybe have four pigs next year - one each to keep and the other two to sell.

Regards

JD

Well the pigs are getting on for 16 weeks old now and have more then doubled in size with little or no fat on them. My mate wants lots of fat whilst I am happy with just a little so we have a minor battle of wills going on LOL. Have a friendly landlady who is giving us half a gallon of Guinness slops every week. The plan is to see how they work out this year and then maybe have four pigs next year - one each to keep and the other two to sell.

Regards

JD

Alas the flavour comes from connective tissue and fat. Not only that but you need the fat to make sausages. 20% fat makes the ideal lean sausage. This would be called 100% by a supermarket. So you need a moderate amount of fat on the pig. A. Compromise? I would suggest more fat than you see in the supermarket pork but not a lot more

Last edited:
I have 17 registered Gloucestershire Old Spot sows
We sell whole and half pigs, joints, sausages, bacon, hams
We are TSG approved, supply direct to the public and wholesale
Also weaners and breeding stock
All bred and reared traditionly
They are very nice animals to own and eat

Hoping to get two again soon

Previously had saddlebacks -cost a fortune as the day they went for the chop my freezer died on me and had to buy a new one!!

Latest posts

Back