Any Vets??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
Opal - retired Guide Dog, age 10, almost 11

We collected her 3 October and she was fine. On Thursday 10th, with no change of diet - she started having a very upset tum...and is not getting better. We have tried starvation, rice. chicken & rice, olive oil on food and rice pudding. She is still unwell, but still drinking well. She does a puddle of poop, and then keeps trying, she is also eating as much grass as a cow!!

She is due to meet her new Vet on Tuesday morning...but a) Is there anything else I can do before then?
b) Should I bring her appt. forward>?

All thanks,

Q 59

Last edited:
My dog was real scavenge would eat almost everything he thought would taste nice and once was once sick for 4 days both ends had me up for two nights letting him out when he needed to. He still had an appetite and eventually started to pass a bit of blood. The vet was not overly concerned and he recovered.

I think you should call the vet just to be safe and perhaps a pm to Eric half bee as she is a retired vet although I think on holiday.

Keep away from dairy products with an upset tum - same as for humans.

get her there monday

:iagree: get her there ASAP and if conditions worsen dont hesitate to get the Vet out of bed.

:iagree: get her there ASAP and if conditions worsen dont hesitate to get the Vet out of bed.

+1 ... She could have just been eating something (could be anything - edible or not) in your garden ... Labs will eat just about anything ... ours has form for eating a pair of tights, a tennis ball, an entire 5Kg bag of all in one dry dogfood, bones, clothes pegs .... you name it, he's had it ! Symptoms are often a runny tummy as these foreign objects can cause a blockage - in most cases it's a temporary blockage and nature finds a way to expel them. But ... better to be safe than sorry, if she shows any sign of lethargy, get the vet out or take her straight there.

Worst case is a twisted gut- sometimes called bloat ... which can be fatal and Labs, particularly old ones, are prone to this condition.

http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/bloat.html

Best of luck with her.

Thanks all - apart from looking sorry for herself when 'trying' she is still as bright as a button - and hungry - but will contact vet early a.m...Ta for the reassurance :D

Hi queens stop her eating grass. Feed her boiled rice with a couple of hard boiled eggs thrown in. Small meals maybe 4x daily. If she's not vomiting I'll bet she'll be ok.

Cornflour in the drinking water is a useful tip with dog squits (if poisoning ruled out). Very useful when three collie pups in a dog crate gorged themselves on a large helping of lamb creep from a sack adjacent in the landie. Hope she settles :)

Cornflour in the drinking water is a useful tip with dog squits (if poisoning ruled out). Very useful when three collie pups in a dog crate gorged themselves on a large helping of lamb creep from a sack adjacent in the landie. Hope she settles :)

...dare I ask what lamb creep is...
:eek:

Thanks all - saw the Vet this morning and got almost exactly what Erichalfbee suggested - along with a jab of anti-biotics, Diarsanyl & Clavaseptin and a rehydration sachet. It is apparently a bacterial infection - but if no better tomorrow she has to go in and pop onto a drip as she is a bit 'tacky' apparently...she didn't seem offended by that comment ;)Still as bright as a button though!

Thanks all - saw the Vet this morning and got almost exactly what Erichalfbee suggested - along with a jab of anti-biotics, Diarsanyl & Clavaseptin and a rehydration sachet. It is apparently a bacterial infection - but if no better tomorrow she has to go in and pop onto a drip as she is a bit 'tacky' apparently...she didn't seem offended by that comment ;)Still as bright as a button though!

Well ...that's good news ... guess you could have saved the vets bill ! Better to be sure though ... hope she goes on alright.

Back