Any recommendations for a good be brush?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am fortunate and get given a swan feather from time to time. Excellent for gently removing remaining left over bees when clearing supers.
Swans don't mind if you pull out one of their wing feathers...if you are quick.
Best time is when they are distracted with little goslings!
:LOL:

Thanks everyone,

I had heard a story of an old school keep who used a goose feather. I just assumed he must have been a bit of a maverick and did not know that many of you use feathers.

So far I have improvised with grass and leafy twigs, turns out I am not alone, haha.

I have been keeping an eye out for a good feather, but so far only have a pidgin feather! I guess that's the down side of urban bee keeping.

Stinging nettles seems like an odd choice to me, not the 1st think I would reach for!

Anyways, thanks again, I am sure I will stumble on a good feather before too long.

Thanks everyone,

I had heard a story of an old school keep who used a goose feather. I just assumed he must have been a bit of a maverick and did not know that many of you use feathers.

So far I have improvised with grass and leafy twigs, turns out I am not alone, haha.

I have been keeping an eye out for a good feather, but so far only have a pidgin feather! I guess that's the down side of urban bee keeping.

Stinging nettles seems like an odd choice to me, not the 1st think I would reach for!

Anyways, thanks again, I am sure I will stumble on a good feather before too long.
I sell them ... approx 28 cms long 5cms wide - genune white goose feather - hand turned hardwood handle £4.85 each including postage.

I sell them ... approx 28 cms long 5cms wide - genune white goose feather - hand turned hardwood handle £4.85 each including postage.
It's alright for you country folk but there aren't that many geese found in urban gardens so I really DO sell them ... regular sales locally but never thought about offering them on here.

It's alright for you country folk but there aren't that many geese found in urban gardens
I suppose you've been lurking on Gosport boating pond with a bag of stale bread and a snare?
More Canadas there than you can shake a stick at.

I suppose you've been lurking on Gosport boating pond with a bag of stale bread and a snare?
More Canadas there than you can shake a stick at.
The HMS Sultan playing fields are best as they spend their days there keeping the grass short - hundreds of them ... but I have a friend who has a couple of guard geese ... so a little less hassle !

I could not tell if you were tacking the piss or not.....

But as you say you relay do sell them, I will take one m8. :)

Nettles aren't really such an odd choice.
They're a good size and texture for the job and there's usually plenty about.
As long as you've got gloves on..😉
And you can shout "see how you like it!" at the bees as you brush the nettles over them

I use a handful of grass held together with an elastic band when I'm clearing supers. The laggy band stops stray grass falling in the hive and there's always plenty of grass around.

I could not tell if you were tacking the piss or not.....

But as you say you relay do sell them, I will take one m8. :)
Here we are ... just picked up some more feathers - they are about 28cms so a couple of cms shorter than the last batch ... goosefeather bee brush.jpg

Reactions: mbc

Latest posts

Back