any oncoming sale from thornes?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the dates.

I might put an order in for more beekeeping books to add to my collection before Brexit kicks in.

Fred.

Last edited:
Just looked at their web site, as I have as friend who wants to start only to find this small print

1. National brood bodies are packed in 5s and are limited to two packs per address. (i.e. 10 brood bodies)
  2. National supers are packed in 5s and are limited to six packs per address. (i.e. 30 supers)
  3. National 14"x12" brood bodies are packed singularly and are limited to three per address.
  4. Other hive parts are packed singularly and are not limited in number.

A bit frustrating for him and as I do not need anything at the moment to make the order up.

Just looked at their web site, as I have as friend who wants to start only to find this small print

1. National brood bodies are packed in 5s and are limited to two packs per address. (i.e. 10 brood bodies)
  2. National supers are packed in 5s and are limited to six packs per address. (i.e. 30 supers)
  3. National 14"x12" brood bodies are packed singularly and are limited to three per address.
  4. Other hive parts are packed singularly and are not limited in number.

A bit frustrating for him and as I do not need anything at the moment to make the order up.
That only applies to 'third quality' hive parts - a bit of a lottery and I wouldn't recommend a beginner purchase those. You need to look at the 'second quality' kit

Last edited:
anyone tried the 3rd quality from thorne before? how bad is it or its still acceptable? was thinking to get some to gamble if 5 pcs i get 4 out mixing around still an ok deal?

anyone tried the 3rd quality from thorne before? how bad is it or its still acceptable? was thinking to get some to gamble if 5 pcs i get 4 out mixing around still an ok deal?
A little carpentry may be called for , filling holes caused by knots, runners are not included either but otherwise they are good value and I have seen keen Beekeepers buy them by the pallet load leaving not many for anyone else.

Use screws instead of nails to pull them together better (applies to all qualities)
Factor in a small tin of two-part wood filler for any dead knots or other secondary 'entrances'

Also the bacon butties are recommended when you collect

A little carpentry may be called for , filling holes caused by knots, runners are not included either but otherwise they are good value and I have seen keen Beekeepers buy them by the pallet load leaving not many for anyone else.
thornes' seconds also now dont come with runners anymore. i think the 3rds also don't come with nails so yes use screws instead with a small drill bit to make pilot hole to prevent wood split if nailing through a knot

Use screws instead of nails to pull them together better (applies to all qualities)
Factor in a small tin of two-part wood filler for any dead knots or other secondary 'entrances'

Also the bacon butties are recommended when you collect

u mean when collect they give complimentary bacon butties?! cool i'm in if so! hahaha

Have been looking at the Thornes sale stuff and fear this could be a massive purchase (although there is future planning built in so shouldn't need to buy any new hives for a while - he said confidently...) , anyway my questions:
- Does anyone use plastic foundation - if so how do you find it?
- Is there any reason not to just buy thin super foundation rather than standard? I used some for cut comb this year and span out the remains to no ill effect so why not just use it routinely?

Latest posts

Back