Ants running over my beehive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kasia

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Does anyone know if the ants that are running all over the roof of my hive will hurt the bees inside or cause any damage and should I attempt to get rid of them?

Both my hives have bees running on the outside and just under the lid. When I last inspected the hives there were none inside.

I believe the bees will keep them out, but I too have wondered how to get rid of them and not poison the bees.

Pretty much all my hives had them all last year and this with no ill effects. They are after the bits of honey/syrup that get spilt when you do inspections.

Unless they get to plague proportions, I wouldnt worry about them tbh.

Just try and bee as tidy as possible when doing inspections and limit the amount of syrup/honey spilt/dropped....they will soon loose interest.

Last year a beekeeping buddy had ants and their eggs on the crown boards did they ever get a shock when we inspected.

Last year a beekeeping buddy had ants and their eggs on the crown boards did they ever get a shock when we inspected.

Same here.

They haven't done it this year though, I think with the ground being drier they've been able to keep their nests underground.

Does anyone know if the ants that are running all over the roof of my hive will hurt the bees inside or cause any damage and should I attempt to get rid of them?

Put the legs of the hive stand in cans of oil. They will not be able to crawl up and then drown in the oil. Better than pesticide which could harm the bees.

Latest posts

Back