Ant nest inside a hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aberreef

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 hives + 3 nucs
I checked my hives today and one, a large nuc(?) in a brood box which was made up 2 weeks ago after my pig knocked a hive which was being demarree'd over, has a large colony of ants in it. They have set up home behind the frame runners and there was thousands of eggs in there:eek:

I scraped out as many eggs as I could before closing the hive but am a bit concerned about the number of ants in there. Is there anything else I can do to get shot of them? I'm thinking of using a blow torch to quickly scorch them if they come back next week.

What do you guys think:D

Also got a load of slugs in and around the hives:puke:.

ring of salt around the hive for the slugs and nippon liquid between to slates with m**chsticks between them for the ants

Remove as many as you can, and move the nuc higher off the ground. The legs of the stand can be covered in vasaline or oil, or use duct tape turend round the other way to stop the ants getting to the hive. Put a bait station on the ground and cover so only ants can get at it, ice cream tube with holes etc.

If you use poison of any sort you are risking this getting into the bees food chain, so you have to be extra careful.

Latest posts

Back