another wasp question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runnerbean

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi all,

I've 2 strong colonies and a (fairly) new nuc made from a swarm 3 weeks ago.

This morning, I noticed over the course of 20 minutes 3 wasps entering the nuc entrance. My question is - how long until the hoards arrive (I'm at work and powerless at the moment)? I've never had a wasp issue until now.
Also, given that the 3 hives are in the same apiary - can I expect all 3 to be subject to wasp attacks, or is it very hive specific?
I expect I'll find out more this evening, just trying to be prepared

Many thanks

Narrow nuc entrance to one beespace. (wide and high). Easier to defend.. First job.
Use a wasp confuser entrance- see this forum on how to diy.
Set up a number of wasp traps.. easy to diy.
If necessary, move nuc to another site.

Hi all,

I've 2 strong colonies and a (fairly) new nuc made from a swarm 3 weeks ago.

This morning, I noticed over the course of 20 minutes 3 wasps entering the nuc entrance. My question is - how long until the hoards arrive (I'm at work and powerless at the moment)? I've never had a wasp issue until now.
Also, given that the 3 hives are in the same apiary - can I expect all 3 to be subject to wasp attacks, or is it very hive specific?
I expect I'll find out more this evening, just trying to be prepared

Many thanks

All my nucs (poly - Maisemore) are on half-sized entrances, or smaller, at present. That spinning plastic wheel on the front is ideal for this. For your main colonies reduce them to a 2 or 3 cm wide entrance - no colony needs more than this at the moment, and most can do with a lot less than that.

You can make some very effective traps easily and quickly. Just cut the top portion off a 2l plastic bottle, reverse it and staple in place. Mix up a bait liquid of 1:1 sweet beer (Kronenburg 1664 works well) and water, add 100g honey. Lay the trap on its side, propped up to stop leakage.

Attachments

• Wasp Trap.jpg
    Wasp Trap.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 19
Thanks all - thankfully not a full scale attack.
I've narrowed the entrances - seems to have done the trick

Back