Another show and tell poser

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so it was not genetic?( Queen) but due to ''dangers'' of demaree method cause of bad weather ?(brood cold) or flow stop?

which thing you think stopped the spread?new combs? new Q?hive change? open floor? feeding ?stop feeding?
Not sure about dangers of Demarree. The Demarree may have been incidental to discovering CB.

Nuc has a new queen, related but may not have inherited the susceptibility.

so it was not genetic?( Queen) but due to ''dangers'' of demaree method
no - the chalkbrood was there long before the Demmarree (why on earth would Demarree cause it?!) chalkbrood has been there for two years, just didn't get time to change the queen last year

Not sure about dangers of Demarree. The Demarree may have been incidental to discovering CB.

Nuc has a new queen, related but may not have inherited the susceptibility.

may dunno , never had any issues with cb thats why asked (what causes it more ?cool temps?flow stop?humidity?bad quality feeding?

but if it temps change then in my eyes demarree has that danger (brood cold) it has to be done in a period before swarm meaning not stable temps so need bees can warm the up up floor?

no - the chalkbrood was there long before the Demmarree (why on earth would Demarree cause it?!) chalkbrood has been there for two years, just didn't get time to change the queen last year
ee see above pls

and also 'no' and Q change confuses me :)

no, its not genetic?then why change Q ,is it Q spread it or nurse bees from combs?as you said you made a nuc that after seems heals itself and started clean it before new Q mate and lay that means bees had already the hygiene traits so my wonder is what heals it ? the new Q the new hive?combs? the broodless period and so the population change while no brood present there of young nurses to spread it further?

may dunno , never had any issues with cb thats why asked (what causes it more ?cool temps?flow stop?humidity?bad quality feeding?

but if it temps change then in my eyes demarree has that danger (brood cold) it has to be done in a period before swarm meaning not stable temps so need bees can warm the up up floor?

I think the 'no' refers to the Demarree not being at fault.

JBM is the Demarree pro so can probably answer more accurately but the Demarree is a way of keeping a colony large so there will be plenty of bees to keep brood warm.

CB is a fungal disease. As a result, I personally would presume that the spores are ubiquitous.

There is a genetic susceptibility but this doesn't mean they're always symptomatic. When an environmental stressor occurs, this alongside the susceptibility leads to crudescence of the signs.

Susceptibility will probably be a spectrum rather than a binary trait. Depending on the drones in the area when the queen is mating, offspring may become more or less susceptible.

ee see above pls

and also 'no' and Q change confuses me :)

no, its not genetic?then why change Q ,is it Q spread it or nurse bees from combs?as you said you made a nuc that after seems heals itself and started clean it before new Q mate and lay that means bees had already the hygiene traits so my wonder is what heals it ? the new Q the new hive?combs? the broodless period and so the population change while no brood present there of young nurses to spread it further?
you asked/implied that the Demarree was the cause of the chalkbrood - I answered no, it was there long before the demarree was conducted.
The second Demarre (this year's) was conducted just so I could isolate last year's comb and wait for all the living brood to emerge just to see how much comb was wasted to chalk in just one season
I said I made a nuc from one of the QCs in the initial Demaree and the daughter 'seemed' clean (the bees had cleared out all the mummies that the old queen had left) it will be next spring before I can see with any certainty that the daughter is clear of it or not.
Chalkbrood is fungal but some strains of bee seems to be more susceptible than others and within the strain some queens are more prone than others. ( I know of one breeder who bought some Colonsay queens in and bred many from them fertilised by II - lovely looking queens but all as chalky as heck, so bad, the whole lot was culled the following spring.
Some queens seem to be chalky early in the spring but it clears up, or beekeepers are blind to it as the season progresses which may explain the oft repeated sentence that X queen is 'happy' just laying enough to fill one box (because maybe much of what she lays never emerges) and some queens are chalky throughout the year.
The only 'cure' is to cull the queen and replace her with another.
Raising the queens from this chalky one is just an experiment (I've raised two - one this season and one in 2021) just to see whether the daughters are as chalky thus indicating it may be hereditary in this case.

jep my hypothesis about chilled brood due to demaree was wrong got it when wrote that cb was there before but got confused with no and where it go

so thnks for the answer - Q change -

Thank you for this thread, I just noticed a few of my colonies with the same problem a couple of days ago, I got a fright thinking about foulbrood, sackbrood, varroasis etc but none seem to fit the picture and then I realised it was a fresh outbreak of chalkbrood, caused by a break in the flow and unseasonably cold and damp condititions

This reminds of the story about a group of medical students trying to diagnose their professor's strange shuffling gait as he was observed gingerly making his way across the quad.
Said professor overheard the conversation and butted in "well gentlemen" he said "you Smith think my love of a good port has brought on a gout flare up, you Williams on the other hand think it may be the onset of arthritis in the knees or ankles whilst you Thomson have really gone out on a limb and conflated my advancing years with the onset of dementia!! well, I personally thought it was just last night's lamb hot pot had caused a bit of embarrassing flatulence so I thought I'd sneak one out before the lecture, well, Gentlemen - it seems we were all mistaken!!

Back