Another QC

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aseeryl

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
2-4
I introduced a new queen +attendants on Thursday. I did a thread on this and received some kindly replies. I left things till this am - 7 days queenless - and found a qc that I may have missed or has been formed since I squished all I could find on Wed/Thurs. The intro cage is still being the centre of attention, although the bees, bar one or two, separate easily. However, I'm not exactly sure where care and attention morphs into aggression.

I've left the cage (inhabitants alive) inside the hive, but will the destruction of what, I hope, is the final QC now lead to acceptance.

I did see some uncapped worker brood scattered about - these must now be on the margins of viability (or more correctly, too late to turn into emergency queens).
BTW I took the plastic cover off the sugar plug.

I believe it only takes a few hours for the hive to realise it is queenless. Does the same apply to loss of developing QCs?

Should i put the plastic back on and leave it another day or two?

Thanks

Last edited:
I would leave alone it sounds like they made a emergency cell , but you have dealt with this now
Also you have given them loads of time to get introduced to the new queen

Grub

Last edited:
When introducing a new queen in a cage- NO attending bees in there too...Dump them- less fighting...
Then re introduce queen and let them feed her and eat their way through the candy to her. Check in 2-3 days that she is released

When introducing a new queen in a cage- NO attending bees in there too...Dump them- less fighting...
Then re introduce queen and let them feed her and eat their way through the candy to her. Check in 2-3 days that she is released

Remove attendants with cage in a clear plastic bag. They're not usually very pleased to see you.

Should i put the plastic back on and leave it another day or two?

Too late now. I think the bees get through the candy in the order of a couple of hours.

Normally, I would advise the removal of attendants, but whenever I have used these cages (presuming we are talking about the orange ones) I have left the attendants in. Too fiddly to remove them/risk of losing the queen - orange cages are bad from this point of view.

Too late now. I think the bees get through the candy in the order of a couple of hours.

Normally, I would advise the removal of attendants, but whenever I have used these cages (presuming we are talking about the orange ones) I have left the attendants in. Too fiddly to remove them/risk of losing the queen - orange cages are bad from this point of view.

...hence the bag...although I've only used the white ones.

I take them to the smallest room in the house-(close loo lid) and release gradually-attendants usually pile out first. Then if the queen gets out she is retrieved. Never failed yet. But the bag a good idea.. But REMOVE those extra bees..

Back