Queen cages

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.Bumbler

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi I recently bought a new queen for my queen less hive- never had to do this before Put her in cage between frames and left for two days as advised. all seemed well so tried to take plastic tab off to give access to the fondant so the bees could release her. For some reason it wouldn’t break off easily and had to use the hive tool and am hoping she didn’t get injured.Am going to have another check tonight to make sure she’s been released. Anyone else had this problem?

I had one that was really difficult. I had to essentially cut it using the hive tool as it wouldn't snap. The majority I've had to use have been find though.

Thanks everyone just glad it’s not just me that’s had problems. Not sure which cage it was as bought her from one of our associations members. I will let him know. I have everything crossed!

Hi I recently bought a new queen for my queen less hive- never had to do this before Put her in cage between frames and left for two days as advised. all seemed well so tried to take plastic tab off to give access to the fondant so the bees could release her. For some reason it wouldn’t break off easily and had to use the hive tool and am hoping she didn’t get injured.Am going to have another check tonight to make sure she’s been released. Anyone else had this problem?
Leave alone for a week.

apparently the ones I had my queens in were from Abelo - still a bit caca though
I always use this type. It has two food compartments, and I see now that they have two tabs as well. The bees have access to the queen before she is released into the hive

I think he’s referring to the ones and link I posted.

Any photos of these dodgy cages? I'm struggling to visualise how a queen, separated from the tab by the candy, can be harmed in the process of breaking the tab out. I'm sure a photo really will be worth a thousand words in this instance.

I think he’s referring to the ones and link I posted.
Correct, the two tabs are relatively new. The smaller comp. has a qe on it so that the queen can't get out when the bees have eaten their way in. If all is well when they are in, you then remove the other tab and they will eat the fondant and she is out. If you look closely at the photo in the link it is fairly clear what I mean.

Correct, the two tabs are relatively new. The smaller comp. has a qe on it so that the queen can't get out when the bees have eaten their way in. If all is well when they are in, you then remove the other tab and they will eat the fondant and she is out. If you look closely at the photo in the link it is fairly clear what I mean.
Oh I had a queen in one of those. I just broke both tabs. No idea you were supposed to do one then the other.
I wonder what the idea is? To let the bees in to kill her rather than wait till she is outside? If they are going to do her in anyway that is.

Oh I had a queen in one of those. I just broke both tabs. No idea you were supposed to do one then the other.
I wonder what the idea is? To let the bees in to kill her rather than wait till she is outside? If they are going to do her in anyway that is.
I guess at least you  know she has been killed that way!
Maybe they would struggle to ball her in the cage?

Im glad its not just me. I thought the two tabs were to let more bees at the fondant at at the same time, not another way of creating a further timed release of the queen... oops.

However, to me it just means the beek is faffing even more at a time when minimal contact is important.

I've had a couple this year that fell apart when I removed the tabs, the queen then ran out, luckily they had accepted them already.

Any photos of these dodgy cages? I'm struggling to visualise how a queen, separated from the tab by the candy, can be harmed in the process of breaking the tab out.
easy, the tabs just wouldn't snap on mine so you end up pulling and twisting and all shapes, luckily I looked down just in time and realised the cage was collapsing and distorting and I was in danger of crushing the occupants

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back