Another passion of mine

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you are up and about again.
Two weeks..today I'm surveying a garden then a couple of meetings with clients.
Then of to the yard to collect some boxes to send honey out to folk.

Great workmanship..... Well done.... You can see it's a passion...;)

For Want of a Better Word... Brilliant!

One of my apiary owners died recently and I was worried that his widow would sell up and go.
Yesterday she said she was going to "clean up" the 4 acre field where my apiary is sited and plant a wildflower meadow in his memory... I have been fighting a losing battle for the past 10 years against the bramble and bracken... as far as we know no animals have been kept on the field for 50 years.

Any advice appreciated!
Cheers

Chons da

For Want of a Better Word... Brilliant!

One of my apiary owners died recently and I was worried that his widow would sell up and go.
Yesterday she said she was going to "clean up" the 4 acre field where my apiary is sited and plant a wildflower meadow in his memory... I have been fighting a losing battle for the past 10 years against the bramble and bracken... as far as we know no animals have been kept on the field for 50 years.

Any advice appreciated!
Cheers

Chons da
Straight to it... Bracken I've found is best to be pulled up or mowed very often or both
Here farmers mow strips going up the hill they are mulching it really and that stops it from growing.
I wouldn't want to recommend herbicide as no sprays thankyou!!
Brambles keep them cut short with a brush cutter and dig them up.
Big areas flail mower, and then shallow rotavate.
If there's lots of brash you could row it up with a teeder rake or combie, and set a match to it..

I towed a set of my old Goodridge mud terrain tyres up and down over the bracken when the bracken started to sprout this Spring... knocked some back... and had a flail at the worst of the bramble around the hives.
May have to move the bees out as it seems the whole field is going to be scrarrified.
An excellent secure site which onece has good access to the heather on Kit Hill... now due to lack of management by Cornwall Council most of that heather has gone!
My passion would to see it return... but a !"wildflower meadow"! will do !!

Chons da

I'm sharing this because I love designing gardens as much as beekeeping.

This is the garden of Thyme it has a clock face incorporated in one of the cycles with different varieties of Thyme .
Cheers mark
6762d9306afd237ae5c76c64471455c3.jpg
25f3839c4f6a615d7ca6e61ef9b872ec.jpg
a83418287e08817b2a2ae469102c8910.jpg

Sent from my 5051X using Tapatalk
Great designs and well executed. I used to love doing stuff like that! :love:

Great designs and well executed. I used to love doing stuff like that! :love:
It is rewarding to build something out of just materials from the clients yard.

The garden of thyme was the clients idea of a clock I just deigned it further using scraps.
The public can visit his nursery and pay to walk round the gardens, worth a visit as he has some real bizzare gems there.
This is in Hartlebury Worcestershire if any one wants the details pm me?

It is rewarding to build something out of just materials from the clients yard.

The garden of thyme was the clients idea of a clock I just deigned it further using scraps.
The public can visit his nursery and pay to walk round the gardens, worth a visit as he has some real bizzare gems there.
This is in Hartlebury Worcestershire if any one wants the details pm me?
I will have to dig out some photos of my landscaping adventures. It was so weird looking at your images. They could have been pictures of what I was doing twenty years ago! I built a path up a garden in Lewes once, using old brick and stone. The style was almost identical. o_O

Back