Another lost colony story

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as varroa treatment is concerned, they got MAQS strips in August after harvest, and OA vaping in December, v low drop after that.

It might come as a surprise to some of the newer members but starvation can occur with stores in the box

There’s starvation and starvation. One where a big colony completely runs out of food and one where there is food in the hive but the colony is too small to reach it. The second scenario is not starvation but usually varroa
Happy to accept that I've made a mistake somewhere along the line. I thought I was on top of varroa levels so starvation is the next most likely problem. It just doesn't look like any of the starved colonies that I've seen - though I'm still fairly new to this!

Happy to accept that I've made a mistake somewhere along the line. I thought I was on top of varroa levels so starvation is the next most likely problem. It just doesn't look like any of the starved colonies that I've seen - though I'm still fairly new to this!
Picture is a sad sight - hope you are able to discover the reason why with some certainty.

Could be, I suppose, but after all this time, hard to tell. For what it's worth, the colony in this hive in this physical configuration, made it through the previous winter without a problem.

Nosema Ceranae ?... would show no obvious signs... I'd be testing for it. Stores in the hive and no bees with heads in cells suggests not starvation... looks more like a disastrous die out with that volume of bees on the floor and none clinging to the comb.

Not starvation nor, as far as I can see, varoosis - no DFW visible, nor mites on bees. Just a thick layer of dead bees on the floor. Almost none on the frames. Hmmmm...
No, I don't think so. Not only did they have plenty of stores and fondant, which a month ago they were consuming, there are no heads in cells - in fact almost no bees on the frames at all.
No, I don't think so. Not only did they have plenty of stores and fondant, which a month ago they were consuming, there are no heads in cells - in fact almost no bees on the frames at all.
Actually ... There's quite a lot of information already there ... The frame photos may not show a great deal more than we already know ... All the above possible causes are possible or a combination of more than one. Not just random guesses ...

I had a similar thing happen in my second year., all the dead bees were on the floor. My conclusion was damp.

Manek still hasn't showed any pics of frames, the forum may have more of an idea if some evidence was put forward to rule out other possibilities.
Did the colony have any brood present ?

Latest posts

Back