Another lime thread

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonyatcwfarm

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7 colonies(national) 1 nuc
I live within 200m of 10 very large lime trees in flower
I have one colony that was a/s 4 weeks ago now on double brood with 7/8 frames drawn and being laid up in both bb.Lots of bias and lots of new bees just emerged
They had 3 partially filled supers guessing 40/50 lb weight when I a/sd,But as of yesterday all stores in supers seem depleted
Considering the proximity of the lime is it possible it's not fully in flower yet,it's past flowering or could it be a different type of lime?

The flowers are unmistakeable, have a look, they should be large pale wings with half a dozen flowers hanging underneath. If they are tight balls they haven't opened yet, if you can see all the spikes in the flowers they are fully open and if they are not there they have gone!
The nectar only seems to flow at a quite high temperature and humidity. It is weird, the bees suddenly know when it is right and they come out en mass and head in that direction but if it is too cold they won't touch it!
The first four years I lived here nothing..... But the last two years have been just right so it is not a certainty by any means!
E

Thanks enrico
I was wondering what's going on
The village natives will definitely wonder what I'm doing up the village tomorrow inspecting the flowers in the trees
We have had some very mixed weather here for the last couple of weeks but a change is on from tomorrow with high temps so hopefully it's not too late

Latest posts

Back