Another Beekeeping show

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well its hard to believe this is not a BFA promoted event when two of the key people at BFA will be taking a wage from BFA while promoting their own interests in the same field, if they resign from the BFA then that line may have some credibility.

Alex has resigned from Beecraft because of a conflict of interest, why not the BFA, or have the old days of the BFA returned when to feather your own nest is more important than integrity ?

Just want to have a quick come back on that one. Board membership of the BFA is a voluntary position, including the chairman. Alex is a paid part time employee. 'Another' is also a volunteer I understand. We currently have a vacancy for Margaret's former role, and apart from a bit of remuneration for the work done by the treasurer (who is not involved in this plan) thats it.

I am a board member without a geographical tie, meant to represent the sometimes different perspective of the larger bee farmers. If you have major concerns about this please send it to me in writing or email form, and I *WILL* raise it for you at the next board meeting. This particular laundry need not be carried out on open forum.

To add to our 4 shows, Betradex and 3 Festival of Bees, I am told another is on its way, Alex Ellis, Rob Nickless and another have been planning a new show since last year, still to get off the ground but I am assured it is coming.

This is a ridiculous thread and does you no credit Patrick - I am a customer of yours and a BFA member and this serves no purpose other than it looks like you are trying to do harm to other individuals and their legitimate commercial activities.

You should withdraw it and reflect - you run a successful business, why are you doing things like this?

Well its hard to believe this is not a BFA promoted event when two of the key people at BFA will be taking a wage from BFA while promoting their own interests in the same field, if they resign from the BFA then that line may have some credibility.

Alex has resigned from Beecraft because of a conflict of interest, why not the BFA, or have the old days of the BFA returned when to feather your own nest is more important than integrity ?
The BFA took a decision Pre-Covid to move its AGM to the end of the year to make it easier for members to attend (the Bee Farm open day tends to be very well attended) and for financial reasons John Heard explained at the time but I forget what exactly….year end or something … but it does mean that the Beefarmer element who may have been drawn to the day because of the AGM being held in the afternoon may well choose not to attend.
Also, as I alluded to in my earlier post the lack of larger and overseas suppliers meant a key reason or draw to attend was also missing.

I think the show is at a crossroads - is it a broad church to attract everyone, no hive intrigued to 1000+ colonies or is it for the small 0-3 hive beekeeper therefore should only be focused on that market ?

If the former then it must have the suppliers who were missing, a good number of speakers for the breakouts, and probably some seminars on those looking to expand and the perils and pitfalls thereof

If the latter then the hall is far too large for what I saw from the photos, videos, Instagram and personal feedback given to me from beekeepers who did attend.

The decision to offer the show is a commercial decision.

It has to wash its hands. The owner isn’t a charity at the end of the day. But a clear strategy to ensure the fallout that is clearly out there should be communicated to attendees and suppliers know what the aim of the show is.

My thoughts for what it’s worth. I am available as a paid consultant / organiser !

KR
S

Another pack of misinformation, Sherriiff bee suits are a world leading brand, you get what you pay for, the show had free wifi, maybe you just didn’t want to be happy that day hey ?
Sherriff suits no better than the £45 ones and why then did every one apart from you it seems only able to take cash?Unless you wanted to wait 45 mins for an very slow card machine

Sherriff suits no better than the £45 ones and why then did every one apart from you it seems only able to take cash?Unless you wanted to wait 45 mins for an very slow card machine
First off I didn’t go to the show but realistically we should be supporting good events if we want more or to see them improve. I also admit to having a good laugh at Patrick when he tells us about fondant😂
I’m not sure you can blame Patrick for the fact other suppliers could not take cards, I guess due to the low level of events or lack of experience in recent years many aren’t geared up for them! As to sheriff being equal to cheaper suits…we’ll I’m afraid your talking out your rear end😂 I love a good show and the site of a decent Swienty or Thomas stand is streets ahead of most UK suppliers!!

Last edited:
Strange , You must have visited a different show: I bought by card at three different stands. All cards and all transacted in under 5 minutes,

Just a minute. Patrick are you saying that somebody with a key role in the BFA can't have other commercial interests? Because that is how your post reads.
This thread is becoming something that the forum doesn't need and if you or anybody else persists in excoriating the integrity of others I shall delete the posts. This has to stop here please
Another misunderstanding, I believe we need more shows, this is not “other commercial interests “ this directly connected to the current rolls with an inevitable crossover at BFA member’s expense. I also believe Alex acted correctly by resigning from Beecraft, in an email to me Alex has said he is resigning “so as to avoid any potential perceived or actual conflicts of interest that may arise.” I assume the new show will not be selling magazines so I cannot see a conflict in that, the BFA id different.

The BFA took a decision Pre-Covid to move its AGM to the end of the year to make it easier for members to attend (the Bee Farm open day tends to be very well attended) and for financial reasons John Heard explained at the time but I forget what exactly….year end or something … but it does mean that the Beefarmer element who may have been drawn to the day because of the AGM being held in the afternoon may well choose not to attend.
Also, as I alluded to in my earlier post the lack of larger and overseas suppliers meant a key reason or draw to attend was also missing.

I think the show is at a crossroads - is it a broad church to attract everyone, no hive intrigued to 1000+ colonies or is it for the small 0-3 hive beekeeper therefore should only be focused on that market ?

If the former then it must have the suppliers who were missing, a good number of speakers for the breakouts, and probably some seminars on those looking to expand and the perils and pitfalls thereof

If the latter then the hall is far too large for what I saw from the photos, videos, Instagram and personal feedback given to me from beekeepers who did attend.

The decision to offer the show is a commercial decision.

It has to wash its hands. The owner isn’t a charity at the end of the day. But a clear strategy to ensure the fallout that is clearly out there should be communicated to attendees and suppliers know what the aim of the show is.

My thoughts for what it’s worth. I am available as a paid consultant / organiser !

KR
S
The BFA had its deliveries diverted away from Beetradex this year, that’s the first time. We contacted all the European suppliers that had attended before offering a new approach to receiving and storing their kit for the shows so they could travel lighter, all at our costs. We at the time where surprised not to have a response. We found out after that the BFA was working against the show.

Next year we will work with different manufacturers and ensure we get a broad church, our aim for the early show is to help all areas of beekeeping, as a side issue, I don’t believe any other manufacturer or supplier could have beaten Bee-Equipment on price, we shifted a lot of product in bulk to commercial beekeepers. Why do you think the others didn’t want to compete ?

ask the BFA its either this week or next week that the deliveries are being made.

Just want to have a quick come back on that one. Board membership of the BFA is a voluntary position, including the chairman. Alex is a paid part time employee. 'Another' is also a volunteer I understand. We currently have a vacancy for Margaret's former role, and apart from a bit of remuneration for the work done by the treasurer (who is not involved in this plan) thats it.

I am a board member without a geographical tie, meant to represent the sometimes different perspective of the larger bee farmers. If you have major concerns about this please send it to me in writing or email form, and I *WILL* raise it for you at the next board meeting. This particular laundry need not be carried out on open forum.
Would you mind sending me contact details, thanks

Hi Everyone,

I will only just mention this and leave the post alone but I am "another" I own and run Happy Valley Honey and Modern Beekeeping as some may know. I have no position in the BFA other then a member that give me no sway in that respect. But given the nature of my business I clearly have some contacts and a good working relationship with many kit manufacturers and suppliers both UK and further afield.

This is simply and wholly a commercial decision based on what I perceive to be a gap in the market place, A show has been part of my business plan for a good number of years, timing feels correct and I believe there is demand.

Everything appears to be focused towards Alex and Rob however this is unfair to do so.

Please pick up the phone and lodge you grievances directly where they can be discussed appropriately, you already have my details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back