Angry Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely not the former, probably not the latter. Personally I'd introduce a nice laying q or break up the colony for nucs (not using their own genetics though!)

Preferably buy a new queen in, second choice is use one from your calm hive. The latter has worked for me in the past. Definitely don't leave to their own devices if you can help it.
E

If you combine part of your angry hive with a queen right hive, make sure the queen right half is stronger so they don't have a go at the queen.
I second this....having just lost a good queen who was in a nuc when I combined with a queenless angry hive.

She was laying well, then within a week was gone. Now I am letting them die out / weaken significantly before I risk another queen.

I second this....having just lost a good queen who was in a nuc when I combined with a queenless angry hive.

She was laying well, then within a week was gone. Now I am letting them die out / weaken significantly before I risk another queen.

Remember always give a week after unite/introduction before going back into a hive otherwise they may ball her.

Remember always give a week after unite/introduction before going back into a hive otherwise they may ball her.

Yeah you are right. Checked my records, and I went in after 8 days to make sure they had got through the paper. It was during the wet weather, so maybe that affected them.

Last edited:

Me thinks most queen introductions fail either because there is already a queen in residence or the colony can still produce queen cells then decide to get rid of the imposter. If I leave it a week and they produced queen cells then there is a good chance she won't be there. Unless they are hopelessly queenless I recheck after 4 days or so.

Back