Angry farmer wants me to move hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the farmer continues to be quite so hostile you could ask if he is going to take out insurance as he is renting out his stable and is he going to declare his rent to the Inland Revenue. You are more likely to biten by horse flies then the horses being bothered by bees.

if he get really stroppy again, i would suggest advising him by registered letter that any further contact, entry onto your land , threats or false reports to authorities such as environmental health by him will be treated as harassment and unlawful, and that you will take appropriate action, note each contact, telphone convesation ( call line identity and time)

and then report him to the police as he is harassing you

Last edited:
If he gives you any bother tell him "there is more than one way to skin a cat".

Busy Bee

If the farmer continues to be quite so hostile you could ask if he is going to take out insurance as he is renting out his stable.

Why would he need to take out insurance for renting stable?

I keep alpacas and use a molasses coated feed for them stored about 30 feet from my hives. I have had no issues what so ever in the bees being attracted to the feed. The bees are more interested in the water trough! The alpacas are not bothered by the bees either and the bees are not interested in the Alpacas.
I cannot see how horses would be bothered by the bees or vice versa.
Good luck.

its very easy to sit back and say "i would do this" and "i would do that" but at the end of the day its all hassel, and once you start going down the legal route it soon turns into an obsession, and a very costly one at that. you have my sympathy. if he is a reasonable man then maybe you can compromise but if you are both as stubborn as each other then good luck.................to both of you :)

If your local riding centre is a member of the British Horse Society (and they should be) get them on your side.

As a hobbyist I have the BHS AI exam, bees were never discussed.

My apairy is situated next to a large horse business!!nothing has been stung in the year that they have been there, horses in the next field and there are plenty of stables too! i am a bee and horse owner and have no problem wiith both at the same site just as long as the horses don't have access to the hives.

Thing thing about bees and horses not getting on is 5% truth and 95% hysteria. I have a bridle path running alongside land on which I built my honey farm, and had to deal with such objections at the planning stage. Apparently I was being irresponsible and would cause regular injury and distress to horses and their riders...

The big problem with horses mixing with bees (speaking as a non horse person) is that they kick when threatened. If they stray too close to an unfenced hive and get stung, their kick response might just knock the hive over and multiply their problems a thousand fold. Cattle, on the other hand, just run away. The idea that bees act aggressively to horse sweat is often mentioned but without any evidence to back it up.

It sounds like the siting of the hive complies with the BBKA's published (to members) guidance; you have a 10' hedge between the hive and the stable block, and indeed the stable block wall acts as a further barrier. There is a free information leaflet on the BBKA site entitled "Bees and neighbours" which gives their recommendations for dealing sympathetically with concerned neighbours. Further screening so that your bees are not visible from the adjacent land, and so that flying bees are raised above (horse) head hight, would be wise.

The "senior beekeeper" line is probably a bluff - I don't know of many beekeepers who would be so damning. The advice to ask your local bee inspector to appraise the situation is a good one.

There are many beekeepers who keep bees and horses in the same field, as some here have said. The horses do quickly learn that white suits mean a trip to the far side of the field! One particularly useful testimony I had was from the chairman of a BKA on the other side of the county, who was a beekeeper, horse owner, and vet, and who saw no problem in what I was proposing.

I spoke to the British Horse Society, in particular their 'Rights of Way' and 'Welfare' officers. The latter told me he could recall no reported incidents in recent years of bees causing harm to horses; indeed he offered the view that horse flies would be a greater and much more frequent irritation than the odd passing bee. He knew of no such case of a stung horse bolting and causing either itself or its rider injury, which is another scare story often thrown into the mix.

Molasses is not an attractive feed for bees; dark sugars and the like are toxic to them anyway. Indeed there have been studies conducted into the use of molasses as a honeybee repellant, e.g. here.

So all in all, there's not much for the farmer to go on. Do you have legal cover on your house insurance? Should cover a few solicitor's letters if necessary. Make sure you join a local BKA and you will get 3rd party liability insurance to cover the unlikely event that any claim for injury is made.

Finally, if you wake up one morning and find that the bees have been killed, DEFRA operates a department called the Wildlife Incident Unit, who would be very interested and who will fine landowners or spray contractors in cases of mis-applied pesticides. The farmer knows that you have bees there - document your conversations/correspondence! - so is obliged to give you 48 hours notice if he intends to spray insecticide near those hives; it is up to you whether you close or move the bees for the duration of the spraying but it is certainly not a notice to move them permanently.

Chin up!

Last edited:
My bees and a nosy shetland and mad welsh pony live happily enough side by side

Danbee, many thanks for that very comprehensive and useful reply
Dan

He sounds like a self important arrogant arse hole. I have a neighbour just the same. I can't see how his threats of court could lead to anything, in his favour anyway. What right does he have to tell you to move your bees so he can rent his shed out? This arguement could have gone the other way 'move your horses because I want to keep bees'. Utterly ridiculous.

I'd ignore him. I would put a security camera up watching the hives for any act of damage. Something I am doing for when another backward minded vindictive neighbour finds out about my hive. I am surrounded by vindictive people who preferred to see my pub a derelict building as it was previously. It really is strange how some peoples minds work

funny this has come up now as my girlfriend is into horses and in the last weeks horse and hound mag there was a letter from someone saying her horse had died from bee stings. Turns out there were hives near her horses field for ten years, never had been a problem. Went to the field one day to find the horse covered in stings. Vet came out and treated it but it died in the night, they reckon from a heart attack. This maybe rare but it may cause any horsey people to question you about your hives in the near future if they had read it. We have just found a new place for our hive and the owner of the land has horses and it was the first question she asked.

Latest posts

Back