Angry bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Wow, I didn’t expect this issue.

After we transferred our new bees (3 colonies and one new swarm) a hundred miles to Sheffield its clear there are big differences in temper for some reason. Prior to the journey they all seemdc very calm and each hive was checked, now after 4 days of being in their new home two of the colonies are very angry and attack within seconds. The other colony and swarm seem very good compared, almost placid – all 4 hives are going about their business but I am unable to check the two aggressive hives at present as they are simply too mean.

Anyone have thought on why this could have happened? Are they likely to settle down? Has anyone seen this before after transporting bees?

Cheers

Jez

I remember reading in Honey by the Ton(Oliver Field) about mean bees being moved to a different area calming down while calm bees moving to that old area becoming mean.

Maybe they have less forage in the new home ?

Don't have any advice for you as I'm a total newbie, but just wanted to say hi, I'm in Sheffield!

buy two new queens and squish the other two, problem sorted

lol, yeh thats a way but I am going to give them time to settle down, as a poster mentioned about the forage is completely different here too - no OSR for example, they had tons of this at the other site, also the weather here is much wilder too.

Time will tell....

cheers

Don't have any advice for you as I'm a total newbie, but just wanted to say hi, I'm in Sheffield!

hi there, where are you in Sheffield?

I have one angry colony which gives every time about 5 stings when I open the cover. Queen's destiny will be between my fingers on Saturday and I join its 3 boxes to another hives.

It takes 2 months time before the stock have died.

I have one angry colony which gives every time about 5 stings when I open the cover. Queen's destiny will be between my fingers on Saturday and I join its 3 boxes to another hives.

It takes 2 months time before the stock have died.

Good to know, mine will either settle or changes will be made :)

Back