An absolute disaster day, month....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The good thing about severe incidents like this is the opportunity it gives the rest of us to reflect, on just how fragile, and vulnerable we all are. And how we must always be vigilant in the simplest of things we do to keep each other safe.
Rab.... I am new here, but have read many, many posts, and you appear a lot. This story would be far fetched if it had been written in a comedy sketch. You just couldn't write stuff like this.

I can honestly say. It is a beautiful thread this. I would love to think so many faceless people as have posted here, cared as much about me, as they do of you. You are clearly a well loved fella. I would also like to give you, and your great lady wife a big, virtual hug. This story is going to be told again, and again.
I hope it's not long before you can relay it again without feeling utter shock, and horror. I beg you not to abandon your love of bees. This world needs more people like you.

Much love.
Robin.

Don't give up we need lessons like this to teach us all. I for one will be a lot more careful when lighting my smoker and not do it near my car.:)

All ways look on the bright side.

then the engine started!!!!! WTF happened there??

Habit of a lifetime. Leave in gear and apply handbrake. Flat area so no need to have 'heaved' the handbrake on tight to hold it, anyway.

Parts of rear tires, glass, and melted aluminium splashes were left behind on the ground at the original site. That meant the rear brakes were likely no longer effective and when the fire melted the wiring, it simply fired up.

Bizarre! It needed both power to the starter and power to the pump solenoid! My initial worry was it was just the starter motor cranking and it was getting closer to the road and would block it. Spinning front tyre marks left behind indicated a temporary loss of traction and then off it went! The engine was also being 'assisted' by the starter motor initially, as I could clearly hear it was still engaged as it took off across the wide verge and then across the road. Diesels have much more low speed torque than petrol engines. I think it was the fallen tree which stalled it out, but maybe the electics failed and the pump solenoid closed, just have not even thought much about those details until now.

The Fire Brigade men were astounded, too! Not sure they believed me until I showed them the the original charred bits and the gent who stopped initially, obviously witnessed it. I have his registration number but no further details as yet. He may need to be contacted.

Imagine this a month ago or a month ahead - a loose, burning car trundling through a tinder dry hedge or across a ripe corn field!

Regards, RAB

All ways look on the bright side.

Yes, but the brightest side yesterday was a raging inferno inside the car!

J is very positive about the beekeeping, but it will need some (a lot) of sorting out.

Regards, RAB

RAB - I've just picked up on your post. A reminder for me to stop that habit of lighting the smoker in the back of the estate car if ever there was one. Glad that you have both come through it OK.

The insurance claim form will be an absolute gem, I'm sure :)

Oh, if you're doing the lottery this week, there's probably no pressing need for you to share your numbers with us.

Take it easy as you get it all back together.

RAB - I've just picked up on your post. A reminder for me to stop that habit of lighting the smoker in the back of the estate car if ever there was one. Glad that you have both come through it OK.

I remember reading in an old bee book that fire is the beekeepers worst enemy. Not only is waxed wood very inflammable, but we light smokers carelessly and often don't put them out properly. The book also warned of the dangers of using linseed oil on hive wood. The oil left on a rag reacts with it and can spontaneoulsy combust. Another common cause is of jars of sugar syrup on the windowsill concentrating the suns rays like a magnifying glass and setting light to sheds.

It didn't touch on major and wholesale destruction of the countryside a la Oliver:)

WOW is all I can say. Almost hard to believe.

I am always wary of using my smoker, lighting especially when wearing my suit.

Oliver90Owner I am so sorry to read this awful tale, I wish you both well and hope J has a speedy recovery. I'm sure we will all be paying careful attention to our smokers now.

Having said that, we all have trouble with smokers now and again, but I do think it's a bit OTT to set fire to your car to subdue the bees...
:)

I remember reading in an old bee book that fire is the beekeepers worst enemy. Not only is waxed wood very inflammable, but we light smokers carelessly and often don't put them out properly. The book also warned of the dangers of using linseed oil on hive wood. The oil left on a rag reacts with it and can spontaneoulsy combust. Another common cause is of jars of sugar syrup on the windowsill concentrating the suns rays like a magnifying glass and setting light to sheds.

It didn't touch on major and wholesale destruction of the countryside a la Oliver:)

Just found this thread!
RAB, so sorry to hear about this horrible chain of events! but also pleased to hear you are both ok. i can understand it making you re consider your hobby, but i am sure that you will come to the conclusion that you must carry on ( i for one certainly hope you do!)
best wishes to you both and keep at it!!

At the end of the day, health is the most important thing, and so long as youre both ok health wise, then the rest is just a cracking yarn.
Maybe we should have a forum whipround to help with any financial loss ?

RAB, all i can say is I hope J gets properly well soon!! and you can succesfully sort out the claims!! Take care yourself too, accidents happen we all take short cuts and most of the time we get away with it. no ones fault just the lives we lead, mean we have to cut corners - in my case once cutting a corner led to me being waist deep in a slurry pit. Good luck with all, keep the Bees and keep the way of life we all read you with interest and we all learn. I am one of many trying to find a way of spending more home time and less struggling with society time (called work) give yourself some time ... then rebuild all good wishes!!!!!andrew and suzanne

Spotted this last night but didnt no what to say not much I can say apart from I hope it all come good and hopefully you can come to a workable compromise on the beekeeping
Kind Regards
Andrew

Spotted this last night but didnt no what to say not much I can say apart from I hope it all come good and hopefully you can come to a workable compromise on the beekeeping
Kind Regards
Andrew

Me too. Best wishes to you both. Scary tale with a sting in it! (sorry)

WOW is all I can say. Almost hard to believe.

I am always wary of using my smoker, lighting especially when wearing my suit.

Best of luck on the repairs (GLW as well as automotive) and do come back.

Freak accident could have happened to anyone. And GLW was only there because you were stranded but she could have been stung in the garden when she was alone.

In fact, because you were there, it was a LUCKY day, as you only lost a motor and some gear.

Oh I'm so sorry, that's awful, what a horrible catalogue of disasters.

The only small consolation, as you and others have said, it could have been even worse.

Hi Rab
Just got back from a week away to read your post. What an incredible series of events.
Hope all returns to normal soon.
Cazza

Thanks all. No probs with anything this end. The day is gone. We will remember it but certainly don't want a repeat - of any of it.

My brother was laughing as I related it to him - apart from the bit about J collapsing.

I have enough kit - it's just a logistical problem of moving things around, until I find a suitable motor to replace my well-loved 205 diesel.

The financial loss would come to less than a grand and a half, if everything were simply written off, so no big deal in the context of the whole affair, considering the potentially life threatening aspect.

No doubt the car will not be valued as high as I would like but that is down to the insurers. No doubt they will not take any account of the MOT (renewed last week although it doesn't expire until early July) and the new front wheel bearing fitted that had only seen two days service plus the very recent servicing costs!

Of course all the bee kit is duplicated (even some parts that would not normally have duplicates laying around), like I have other beesuits, than the one in the car (the one I was actually wearing per eg), some more gloves (but now temporarily have no box of nitriles that will fit me). There are spare roofs, floors and boxes around and I still have a complete extractor. Also the ten pound notes etc can be replaced, as will my cards.

So the only potential loss, that could not have been replaced, has recovered (Jacquie).

Now, what it will cost in unrecoverable incidentals (time, fuel, travel and re-organising my bees) is anybody's guess. One thing I have learned over the years is that it will cost me - even the insurers will claw some of it back in future years, no doubt.

Regards, to all, RAB

Latest posts

Back