Ambrosia

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueDrone

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Thinking of crossing over to this to feed for the winter first impression is it will be expensive at more than twice the cost of sugar water (2:1). So I was just wondering how much Ambrosia equates to 35lb of honey stores. Is it same as sugar water or more efficient ?

interested to hear thought from those that use it or other similar product that are out there

Colin

Colin, that is a hornets nest that you have just kicked!

Ambrosia is about 73% sugars.
Capped honey is 80+%.
However 2:1 (imperial units) is about 63%.
2:1 (metric ie 67%) is bang on the solubility boundary at 20C

Ambrosia is ideal for LATE feeding (or topping up, late), because it requires minimal bee-processing, and thus can be stored VERY quickly.
Its not needed for feeding this early.

Itma, thanks for the quick response and looking at the figures it would take a little less Ambrosia going by the % figures therefore brings the costings closer. And as said far more efficient for the bees to convert.

Colin

... And as said far more efficient for the bees to convert.

Colin

Colin, that ain't exactly what I said - and there will be plenty along in a minute or two to argue about the stuff.
There is no need for the time for enzyme inversion, and the bees have less than half the water to remove (compared to thick sugar syrup).
So I said it can be taken quicker and later (when its colder) - effectively extending the season for those with appropriate forage.
I didn't say anything about "efficiency". :)

It could be cheaper if your local assoc. buys in bulk at a discount and then distributes to members. Our Oke. branch has done this for a couple of years now. It may be worth asking the question.

Tim.

It could be cheaper if your local assoc. buys in bulk at a discount and then distributes to members. Our Oke. branch has done this for a couple of years now. It may be worth asking the question.

Tim.

My association does this and adds 10%, it sells at £14 per 12.5kg drum,

Hi all,
Lidl surgar at 69p a kilo at the moment in my store. Agree with itma.

Bees store sugar syrup without particularly inverting it. They can metabolise sucrose rich stores without any problem during the winter. I have never used it and the majority of winter feed for my bees is self sourced by the bees, so no risk of sugar syrup (home-made or ambrosia) in next year's crop. At over £1.50 per kilo of sugar (at Pete D prices), it is an expensive luxury. Feeding fondant would be more cost effective. So unless you believe in the hype around the stuff, I would stick to sucrose in one form or another. Dextrose monohydrate is only about twicevthat ofvsugar, so, if you wished you could up the total solids by using some dextrose. Not sure about crystallisation, but doubt if would be a problem.

The only advantage(s) I can see is for the commercial keepers where time is important and/or they can purchase at the right price.

Use Invertbee, much cheaper and just as good.

Ambrosia is all marketing hype

buying a hell of a lot to get it cheaper than what you are paying Pete I should think - unless buying it in bulk IPC containers or even tankered in:

822 kg IPC container - 86p a kilo
1096 kg IPC container - 84p a kilo
1233 kg IPC container - 83p a kilo

or tankered in (minimum 7 tonnes - 68p a kilo

A pallet of 70Invertbee 12.5 kg containers works out at £13.00 per container

A pallet of 70Invertbee 12.5 kg containers works out at £13.00 per container

We pay £12.70 for 12.5kg of ambrosia syrup, add 10% and sell it for £14.

Very popular with members with only a few hives. Easy to use, stores well, no mess and the bees seem to do well on it. Good for feeding nucs up too.

I mostly use sugar syrup but have a few in stock if I need some in a hurry.

As previously, the advantage of ambrosia, or other inverts, is convenience for the beekeeper. It's ready mixed which saves time. It's a lower water content so can be fed a little later or earlier in the year, but not as late as fondant. And it can be stored indefinitely without going mouldy. That's about it, the rest is marketing hype similar to "washes whiter", there's no evidence that it's better for bees than white sugar from any supermarket. I have some in my shed, it's good as standby for a quick fix and buying in a 10 litre can or two gives you some handy containers that would be a few quid bought separately.

Think about it this way. You can buy sugar for 69p a kilo from national chains like Lidl and Iceland. I heard recently a local ethnic store has bulk sugar at 15 quid for 25 kg, or 60p a kilo. Solid content around 73%, a 12.5 kg container of invert solution has 9.125 kg of sugars. If I could buy a 12.5 kg container for 5.50, then it would be around the same as I can get sugar for, that would be around 44p a kilo for invert solution in bulk. Is paying another 8.50 or whatever you are asked for a container worthwhile for convenience? Only you can answer that.

Hi all,
Lidl surgar at 69p a kilo at the moment in my store. Agree with itma.

Cheaper in Bookers if you buy 25kg bags. Only 60p per lb there but you have to buy two bags.

First time I tried it was last year, I don't need to feed much with 14x12 brood boxes but it is so much easier and it has a long shelf life. Incidental, how much does it cost to boil a kettle of water

The cheapest I've found, without discount, is from Paynes at £34 for 25Kg. No delivery charge if you get three (over £100)

Latest posts

Back