Am I wise?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I checked the hives last Monday and the three of them had filled out nicely with lots of bees. One hive has four supers on it and lots of sealed honey and there was a good flow of bees on all three.
I have to admit that I did not go through the brood boxes as firstly I didn't have the energy to lift all the heavy supers of the biggest hive. I also felt that as the other two hives which have two supers each, were merrily filling these up. I felt they would not want me pulling their brood box apart at this time. I know they could have queen cells etc. but I had checked the previous week and all was fine with BOIS and no apparent disease.
My instinct was leave the bees alone just this once. I hope I am right.

I checked the hives last Monday and the three of them had filled out nicely with lots of bees. One hive has four supers on it and lots of sealed honey and there was a good flow of bees on all three.
I have to admit that I did not go through the brood boxes as firstly I didn't have the energy to lift all the heavy supers of the biggest hive. I also felt that as the other two hives which have two supers each, were merrily filling these up. I felt they would not want me pulling their brood box apart at this time. I know they could have queen cells etc. but I had checked the previous week and all was fine with BOIS and no apparent disease.
My instinct was leave the bees alone just this once. I hope I am right.
I’ve stopped looking into my broods but then all my swarm control has been done. So it depends on what has been happening to your bees so far.

I had stopped looking in mine too but by chance lifted a couple of brood frames out of one. They had swarm cells in! They have already had one !of of swarm control this year. Quickly checked the others and two out of the six are making swarm preparations again and yet all have had swarm control this year. Honestly? I have left them too it. I haven't the room to split again. Will see what happens!

I had stopped looking in mine too but by chance lifted a couple of brood frames out of one. They had swarm cells in! They have already had one !of of swarm control this year. Quickly checked the others and two out of the six are making swarm preparations again and yet all have had swarm control this year. Honestly? I have left them too it. I haven't the room to split again. Will see what happens!
Yes when the honey is capped or when you’ve taken most of it off leave them to it. Most of my broods were choked with honey last time I looked. There are a few colonies with the QX over the first super. I’ve put foundation in the middle of some brood nests. Everybody has made swarm preps bar one ( one of @mbc ) and I’m fed up of splitting and moving frames about.
I’m back from Berlin in the second week of August. I’ll take the honey and see what’s what.

Yes some of mine that were looking at swarming late April are trying again, also this years new Q’s making swarm prep.
Got a swarm last week with a lovely Queen marked with yellow pen

Even last year I was being called about swarms as late as September. I'm leaving my bait hives out for the time being. It might at least save me a little work.

James

Latest posts

Back