All 8 still holding their Own

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbie & Jans Bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Well at last manage to check all 8 hives 7 queens still marked and 1 not marked we last ckecked No 4 hive in Oct when it had two queens so looks like Mums been housted. I spoke to a friend of mine this morning he has lost all 6 of his hives during the wintre plenty of stores but hives fuul of dead bees. Gutted for him. :party::party:

well done. I too had 8 going into the winter, but unfortunately lost 1.... Still, compared to some i guess that's pretty fortunate.

what happened to the other 1 Gower?

Last edited:
into winter with 4 just lost the one which was a late august swarm that never realy got going but i have learned so next time it will be into a poly nuc or unite

.......that's a lot better than I'm hearing of in the London area...which is about 50% loss.

It seems that the losses vary around the country is it the type of hive or location its hard to pin it down a friend of mine in Somerset has lost 18 out of 25 that gutting.

They probably opened them up and poured acid over them when the weather was cold!
Tee hee ........only joking.........

Mine.
2 were small colonies due to late mating and they never built up.
2 I put down to nosema, oxalic at Christmas may have finished off the queens.
One just dwindled and when I opened up,had very few bees but a tiny patch of brood so I have rehoused this in a small nuc, more in hope than expectation.

Hi all,
Four colonies through with brood. Lost one nuc that never really got going. Spending the rest of the day disinfecting two brood boxes which weren't clean enough for me!

Thanks black - a lot of losses appear down to small colonies going into winter,
maybe uniting might help.

Thanks black - a lot of losses appear down to small colonies going into winter,
maybe uniting might help.

With the great gift of hindsight I should have done but in previous years colonies this size were OK. I think I will give oxalic a miss next year.

I used oxalic on all 8 of my hives I dont think its this but I not sure. I have been asked to remove a colonny of bees from a wall in the main hospital the entrance is right next to a large vent, never done a nest before but thia morning there was hundreds of bees waiting to go in with lots of pollen.

Good luck with the cut out! May have been there for years so have loads of big tubs with lids with you for comb!
E

Latest posts

Back