Aldi: Steamer for wax extraction

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itma

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Just a heads-up that amongst Aldi's January clearance of left over stock from last year is a Wallpaper Stripper.

Its a sealed (but with safety valve) 5 litre water tank, fitted with a kettle-type element and an insulated hose (to which a roughly foot-square steam-trapping nozzle-tool-thingy is supposed to be attached. (Don't attach the tool for this job though!)
Claim is that a full tank of water gives about 90 minutes of steam.
It has a self-resetting boil dry safety cutout.

Such a thing is a ready-made steam generator for a STEAM wax extractor.

You can steam-melt wax without risk of overheating it (and thereby discolouring it).
Consequently, the method is used for both extracting wax from frames AND filter-cleaning of wax.

Spare poly hive boxes make a decent insulated chamber for a wax extractor.
An insulated coverboard (with a small hole to let the hose in) and a tray base (ideally with a spout for the water and wax) are all that's needed - apart from the steam generator.

You can sometimes find old wallpaper steam strippers for a few quid (or if lucky, even less). Sometimes.
However, the purpose of this heads-up is to let folks know that Aldi are clearing them at £15 (rather than the £25 previously asked).
I reckon £15 ain't bad for a new one, with 3 year warranty.
If you were passing, worth a look, though maybe not worth a special journey.

Just a heads-up that amongst Aldi's January clearance of left over stock from last year is a Wallpaper Stripper.

Its a sealed (but with safety valve) 5 litre water tank, fitted with a kettle-type element and an insulated hose (to which a roughly foot-square steam-trapping nozzle-tool-thingy is supposed to be attached. (Don't attach the tool for this job though!)
Claim is that a full tank of water gives about 90 minutes of steam.
It has a self-resetting boil dry safety cutout.

Such a thing is a ready-made steam generator for a STEAM wax extractor.

You can steam-melt wax without risk of overheating it (and thereby discolouring it).
Consequently, the method is used for both extracting wax from frames AND filter-cleaning of wax.

Spare poly hive boxes make a decent insulated chamber for a wax extractor.
An insulated coverboard (with a small hole to let the hose in) and a tray base (ideally with a spout for the water and wax) are all that's needed - apart from the steam generator.

You can sometimes find old wallpaper steam strippers for a few quid (or if lucky, even less). Sometimes.
However, the purpose of this heads-up is to let folks know that Aldi are clearing them at £15 (rather than the £25 previously asked).
I reckon £15 ain't bad for a new one, with 3 year warranty.
If you were passing, worth a look, though maybe not worth a special journey.

I have two of these wallpaper strippers ... not Aldi ones but identical ... they really do give about 90 minutes of steam when you are stripping wallpaper and I've used mine for steaming lengths of wood to be able to bend them, There is a screw thread on the connectors at either end of the hose which makes it easy to create a secure connection with a steaming cabinet without destroying the original purpose for which it was made.

Now ... has anyone built a home made steam wax recovery system ???

Someone will be along shortly - where's Redwood ?- he's a bit clever like that and there's a few other creative inventors on here ...

I believe our Californian cousins would say that it looks like "da bomb" ... quite rightly!

Sure - I was really focussing more on what happens at the other end of the steam pipe ... :)

I'd say that clearing half-a-dozen brood boxes worth of comb in 10 minutes is pretty good going.

LJ

Last edited:
I built a temporary one using a wallpaper steamer a couple of years ago - just to see if it would work (hadn't seen them on the internet then) using some scrap bits of Recticel from the hive building - and in principle it worked very well, I just needed to design a permanent one - and never got around to it! Last year I used a home made solar melter, which is cheaper to run :)

I've made one using a wallpaper steamer and strong plastic dustbin with a tight fitting lid. A hole is drilled in the lid just the right size to take the steamer hose and a hole in the bottom for the wax to run out. I place the dustbin on a small stool or box with the hole over the edge and a container underneath to catch the melted wax. I've steamed brood and super frames plus queen excluders this year and it's worked brilliantly. When all the wax has melted the frames are washed in a strong soda crystal solution to remove all the propolis and residue then they're good to be used again.

Latest posts

Back